• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bresser Everest (ED) 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Frank, fine review, as usual. Would you know the reason for this, seen best in your third pic: the difference in the obj. lens diam. of the Bresser and Zen Ray is much more than the ratio 42:43.

I think this is an "optical illusion" based on the fact that the objective lens in the Zen is recessed more deeply into the barrel than that of the Bresser.

Pomp,

I just pulled out a ruler and measured the two. They appear to be exactly the same diameter...both in terms of the exposed ocular surface and the overall diameter of the barrels with the rubber coating included.

My guess? The Zen Ray appears larger because of the lighter green armor. More light reflected and all that. Same thing goes for when folks where dark clothes to look thinner.

;)

Eitan,

Not a bad suggestion. However, I just measured it. The Bresser's objective is actually recessed further by 2 mm. (5 vs 7)

Thanks for the comparison Frank. They sound like a great competitor in the $200 category. Maybe in the $200-$400 category, too?

Once you get to the $300-400 range the field starts to get VERY crowded with quality options:

- Zen-Ray ED3
- Zeiss Terra ED
- Vanguard Endeavor ED
- Celestron Granite
- Alpen Wings ED
- Meopta Meopro
- Eagle Optics Ranger
- Nikon Monarch 7
- Kruger Caldera
- Minox BL BR
- Swift Audubon

Those are just the ones I came up with off the top of my head and doing a quick check on Eagle Optics...

Once you get to the $300-400 range the field starts to get VERY crowded with quality options:

- Zen-Ray ED3
- Zeiss Terra ED
- Vanguard Endeavor ED
- Celestron Granite
- Alpen Wings ED
- Meopta Meopro
- Eagle Optics Ranger
- Nikon Monarch 7
- Kruger Caldera
- Minox BL BR
- Swift Audubon

Those are just the ones I came up with off the top of my head and doing a quick check on Eagle Optics...

True enough, I don't know how the Everest stacks up against all those. It would be interesting to see. Sounds like Frank and Stet did compare them to a large and diverse group so maybe they have an idea about how they fit in a large picture. At least in a quick comparison.

It may not be the Bresser (I haven't even seen a pair myself), but the way technologies and ergonomic refinement are making their way into this price range I wouldn't be surprised to see a $200 bino more or less equal those, at least until the next round of new models scrambles it again.

It depends on your preferences. If you are talking strictly optics then I don't think it is quite at the level of the ED3 or similar performance roofs. The size of the sweetspot and the CA performance outside of the sweetspot being the two primary factors. I would rate it optically on par with the ZRS and Sightron S II though. Maybe better in the sweetspot.

Ergonomically I prefer them to any of the others mentioned.

Last edited:
And ergonomics are just as important as optics really because the binocular has to fit you and feel comfortable and have the correct eye relief and on and on. If it doesn't even the best optics will not make you like the binocular. I ordered a pair of the Bresser's Everest 8x42 and I also ordered a pair of the Celestron Granite's 7x32 ED so I will compare the two later this week when I get them. It is kind of unfair a $200.00 binocular against a $400.00 binocular but it will be interesting to compare them anyway.

The Bresser looks sweet ergonomically as you say. How does it compare to say the king of ergos the Swaro 8x32 EL? I also like the inset on the objective lens. Nice design. How is the case, objective caps, rainguard and strap. Things the Chinese are not so good at sometimes.

Frank, Eitan, thanks, F. also for taking the trouble to measure. That's that. But your pics do show a diam. difference - I measured in the second and third pics. In the third it may be distortion in the camera image - maybe you centred the frame laterally on the left obj. of the Bresser (on our right, a user's left) and cropped the image? In the second it's a bit mystical. No repsonse needed on these trivial points, esp. after you've gone to the trouble of taking and posting the pics, and then measuring. Eitan, what mightly bothered Allbinos was the diam. in an ED2 model, not ED3. Don't worry too much about multiple-level illusions - they say all is illusion.

I just had a look at french (means europe) prices, and, the Bresser and the Celestron both are at about 400-500 euros here, and surprisingly the Granite are cheaper.
Do we have an issue with importation taxes and a too strong Euro? Noooo...
No way to spend 600$ for a Bresser or a Celestron, even they must be sweet roofs, we europeans are clearly fooled.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back