• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation for a binocular (2 Viewers)

ditendra08

Georgia
Hello everyone,

I want a recommendation for a binocular for a general use. I never had one before and I'm just curious. I won't be doing any outdoor activities, most likely it will be laying down in my home for just an occesionally use as a hoby to look at the city from my balcony. Bare in mind I have a zero experience or knowledge in binoculars, so I started browsing. I will be buying from the Amazon. My budget is approximately $50, but can go a bit higher like maximum $80. Don't want to spend more than that.

So, I have been browsing on Amazon just like I said and as I understand bak4 prism seems best as manufacurers advertise and fms or something. Some cheap unknown brand binoculars seem to advertise to have all these latest features, but they're unknown cheap Chinese brands, but affordable. Then there are some known brands as I see which are more expensive or almost same price with some models but lacking those features like bak4 and etc... So, I'm confused what to choose. As I understand 10x42 - 10x50 seems best choice like someone said in reviews. He said if you go beyond those numbers and buy 20x50 or so, then I will need tripod, so I guess 10x50 seems good spot for my case. Here are few options I'm considering. Can you look at them and tell me which to get? Or can you recommend me a better binocular within 50-80$ range?

1. Celestron – Outland X 10x42 $80 - brand binocular, but most expensive compared to other options. MULTI-COATED OPTICS AND BaK-4 PRISMS. WATERPROOF AND FOGPROOF.
  2. Celestron – UpClose G2 10x50 $48- same well known brand binocular, but cheaper version and slightly bigger with 50 instead of 42 number. Multi-coated optics, however no bak4 prism, instead has porro or bak7 prism?
  3. Bushnell Falcon 10x50 $50 - Another good brand binoculars. Fully coated.
  4. Bushnell PowerView 2 $52 - Same good brand. Multi-coated optics. Porro BK7.
  5. Kylietech 12X42 $32 - Some unknown (most likely Chinese) brand. Most affordable and with bak4 prism. Fully Multi-Coated. To be honest, I tested this one today in a real life and it seemed absolutely fine to me.
Personally I'm thinking to get either the Celestron Outland X 10x42, either this cheap Kylietech 12x42. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Go to a store that has binoculars and try before you buy.
Get the one that you like best that meets your needs.

edj
I'll second this advice and emphasize that once you find something you like, buy that exact unit, because unit-to-unit variation is a big issue w/cheap binoculars. If they won't sell you the demo unit, try the new one that they sell you to make sure that it is as good (or better) before you leave the store so you can do an instant return if it is no good. If you go to a store that has multiple units of the model that you like, see if they will let you try two or three of them, then buy the one that works best.

--AP

You are shopping on extreme lower end of $ range, so it's difficult to advise, but one thought is that if possible ( I realize not everyone has same bino budget), you could do quite well moving up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back