• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds a learning curve.... (1 Viewer)

KenM

Achieved circa...a dozen shots of Swift today, deleted all, except this one, as it was the only upper-part contrasty shot that I got.

What struck me! was that it appeared to show an...''apparant'' saddle? I then trawled Apus apus images, and found that on the ''very few'' upper part shot images available, they too, showed a contrasty saddle effect.

Presumably because the aforesaid is darker backed than A.pallidus, and this contrasts strongly with the paler secondaries/coverts.

Conversely when I trawled ''the very few uppershot Pallid images, I found the ''contrast'' to be less so. Is this just a lighting phenomena...or is the saddle effect for Apus p. less of a feature, than supposed?

That said, whilst trying to ''shoot'' C.Swifts, this Bop appeared in my viewfinder..this was ''the best'' of two shots taken , before disappearing over my rooftop, not seen with the naked eye.

cheers

Attachments

• Swift..jpg
    Swift..jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 200
  • Smaller BOP 1..jpg
    Smaller BOP 1..jpg
    251 KB · Views: 226
A surprise sproghawk. Ken isn't it fun trying to photo Swifts, I don't know how people get some of the shots of flying rare swifts.

I agree Tony, flying Sprawk was my first consideration...then I took the second shot! and as for ''frozen Swifts'' at 5 metres...I don't know how they do it?

Attachments

• Bop again.jpg
    Bop again.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 116
Perhaps I am getting this the wrong way...but are you guys suggesting the BOP is a kestrel? Because that's a Sparrowhawk IMO.

and as for ''frozen Swifts'' at 5 metres...I don't know how they do it?

In order to get such a shot you need:

- proper field conditions (such as light, etc..)
- swift passing by closely
- some photographic knowledge
- a lot of spare time
- and the most important: A PROFESSIONNAL EQUIPMENT

Well, I thought that I was being told that it was a Kestrel. I assumed that Ken had confirmed it as if you see it for real you can't get it wrong. Having looked again I was probably right first time, and the second picture is still a gliding sprawk.

Last edited:
Perhaps I am getting this the wrong way...but are you guys suggesting the BOP is a kestrel? Because that's a Sparrowhawk IMO.

In order to get such a shot you need:

- proper field conditions (such as light, etc..)
- swift passing by closely
- some photographic knowledge
- a lot of spare time
- and the most important: A PROFESSIONNAL EQUIPMENT

It was a Kestrel...observe ''chestnut'' upper-parts, and contrasting dark/pale tip to the tail. Thanks for the tutorial..my mickey mouse equipment on ''Idiot mode'' has allowed me (shame I can't show the FULL resolution) to muddle through...with the following....and what do you think the last image is? (London 2013)

Attachments

• Black Throated blue def. May '12 for web..jpg
    Black Throated blue def. May '12 for web..jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Little Tern def. Landguard 27.5.13.jpg
    Little Tern def. Landguard 27.5.13.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Bop. 2013.jpg
    Bop. 2013.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 98
It was a Kestrel...observe ''chestnut'' upper-parts, and contrasting dark/pale tip to the tail.QUOTE]

Well I did not see it in the field, but I seriously doubt the bird is anything else than a sparrowhawk. On the second image the tail looks long but it often happens with sparrowhawk and the upperwing look brown to me.

But it's the first image that is the most conclusive IMO. On this image the tail is shorter with a perfect shape fo Sparrowhawk (and not for Kestrel) and there are some fingers clearly visible. It never happens with a flapping Kestrel.

And on both image, the head is smallish and there is even that buldging chest on the firt photo that I finfd hard to reconcile with a Kestrel.

and what do you think the last image is? (London 2013)

Definite Goshawk!

Now I am off to go out and take some pictures. Very sunny today, perhaps some swifts will be cooperative...

First surely is a Sprawk and if both pictures show the same bird than the second is the same Sprawk at an impossible angle
London 2013 looks like a Sprawk to me too but with a heavily moulting tail making it Gos shape but still Sprawk headed and wings not usable due to ... camera equipment?
Ken what camera do you use, some of your pictures are great and other far less so, maybe distance or camera or skills?o:D

First surely is a Sprawk and if both pictures show the same bird than the second is the same Sprawk at an impossible angle
London 2013 looks like a Sprawk to me too but with a heavily moulting tail making it Gos shape but still Sprawk headed and wings not usable due to ... camera equipment?
Ken what camera do you use, some of your pictures are great and other far less so, maybe distance or camera or skills?o:D

The object of the exercise Tom...was to show that BOP's have ''variable wing geometry'' (certainly not set in stone!), which can alter perceived shape to the extreme!

The Goshawk shot was one of about nine that I took, within two minutes, as it displayed above me on April 14th this year.

Here are two more, plus a previously posted CB, to prove that the shape can alter dramatically depending on the flight mode.

I use a Sony Cyber-shot Bridge camera, 30x optical, which is in my opinion a fantastic piece of kit..with one drawback! On occasion the auto-focusing can be less than 'rapid'.

cheers

Attachments

• Accip.3.April 14th.2013.jpg
    Accip.3.April 14th.2013.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Accip.9 April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip.9 April 14th 2013.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Under attack, Connaught Waters, June '12.jpg
    Under attack, Connaught Waters, June '12.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 39
Ok Goshawk it is
And bridge-cameras indeed can do a great job but no swifts
Sometimes it works with DSLR but still do not know what kind of swift I got here :king:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 59
Ok Goshawk it is
And bridge-cameras indeed can do a great job but no swifts
Sometimes it works with DSLR but still do not know what kind of swift I got here :king:

Excellent shot...more eleonorae than tinnunculus..I'd say ;)

Ken,
Just to clarify, are you saying the third photo in post 9 is the same bird as the first two birds in post 13?

Correct...here are some more of the same bird.

Attachments

• Accip. April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip. April 14th 2013.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Accip.5.April 14th. 2013.jpg
    Accip.5.April 14th. 2013.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Accip.4 April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip.4 April 14th 2013.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Accip.8.April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip.8.April 14th 2013.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back