• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any signs of spring? (1 Viewer)

snowyowl said:
Spring seems to have finally sprung. Day time temps are at or above zero everyday and the snow is dropping very quickly. The nights are still cold so that helps to cut down on the mud problems that are part of Spring around here. Lots of sunshine at the moment.
Looks like whoever's in charge of the Spring switch won the battle, for today at least..... +7C at 9:00 this morning! :) Should lose a fair amount of snow today. The redpolls are having a ball picking through the seeds that are coming through the melting snow.
It's gonna get messy around here today!!

First Blue tit eggs

Just discovered the first eggs this year in my Blue Tit Box. I can just make out 2 eggs so egg laying must have started on 13/04 three days earlier than last year.
Last year this female layed 9 eggs but only 3 chicks survived. I think this was due to the weather as for 2 weeks after they hatched the weather turned cold and wet.

I have started putting out mealworms this year so hopefully more chicks will survive.

Does anyone know the most likely time for egg laying so I can leave my camera running?

You can follow this live on my web site at http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/nest_box.htm .

Brett

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 127
Early birds!!! I doubt if we'll have any for a few days yet, judging by our records.

I think we used to set the time switch around 5.30 am to start things up when egg laying had begun. I'm going out shortly, so I have not time at the moment to look through our diaries - I'll try to do this when I'm back.

Better make that 3!!!

Either another eggs just been layed or there was one hiding.
Brett

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
nobby said:
Better make that 3!!!

Either another eggs just been layed or there was one hiding.
Brett

We have only had eggs laid in the early morning, as far as I am aware - it can be difficult to tell sometimes though, because the female usually covers them up - but who knows?!

Keep them warm

Elizabeth Bigg said:
We have only had eggs laid in the early morning, as far as I am aware - it can be difficult to tell sometimes though, because the female usually covers them up - but who knows?!

Elizabeth suppose they cover the eggs to keep them warm for when she go's out to feed her self, if that's not so I stand to be corrected.

walt-m

walt-m said:
Elizabeth suppose they cover the eggs to keep them warm for when she go's out to feed her self, if that's not so I stand to be corrected.

walt-m

Walt - I very much doubt if they want to keep the eggs warm - I think it is far more likely that they are just being hidden. Incubation does not start until the clutch is complete (or almost - it may start the day before the last egg is laid). This is to ensure that the eggs hatch out within the same day or two. If you look at our website, and read the diary for Box 2 in 2002, you will read a very strange story, of eggs laid 17 days apart, but some of them hatching out over two days. The summary page will give you a quick idea of what went on.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Walt - I very much doubt if they want to keep the eggs warm - I think it is far more likely that they are just being hidden. Incubation does not start until the clutch is complete (or almost - it may start the day before the last egg is laid). This is to ensure that the eggs hatch out within the same day or two. If you look at our website, and read the diary for Box 2 in 2002, you will read a very strange story, of eggs laid 17 days apart, but some of them hatching out over two days. The summary page will give you a quick idea of what went on.
I agree with you there Elizabeth I don't think they are covered to keep warm in fact I don't think they are intentionally covered at all. When the no of eggs are small the nest material naturally covers them up.

Last year as the no of eggs increased the eggs in my box were exposed all the time the female was not in the box.

Maybe the eggs are kept "cool" so as not to trigger egg developement untill all the eggs are laid.

Again from last year I seem to remember the female only incubating during the day after the last egg was laid.

I suppose it makes sense to have all the chicks hatch at the same time otherwise the female would be too busy feeding chicks to incubate the unhatched eggs.

Brett

nobby said:
Maybe the eggs are kept "cool" so as not to trigger egg developement untill all the eggs are laid.

Again from last year I seem to remember the female only incubating during the day after the last egg was laid.

I suppose it makes sense to have all the chicks hatch at the same time otherwise the female would be too busy feeding chicks to incubate the unhatched eggs.

Brett
Spot on!

Michael

Robins are definitely settling in to nesting areas. They are singing and squabbling a bit. Not sure when nests are built.

Red Winged Blackbirds have arrived at my local park, where they usually settle near the creek with Common Grackles. In January they were just in big flocks, but not here in the city ot the suburbs.

A fair few species are singing loudly now first thing and I noticed for the first time today JUST how pristine and bright the plumage is on the male Chaffinch and the Great Tits.
Other than that not a lot of other signs at the moment as we are buried under six inches of snow! LOL

GILL

Our chipmunks are scurrying about - must be spring soon (they must be out of all the birdseed they packed off last fall!) Have seen buzzards flying (they don't come back here until Mar.15th usually )- and 2 grackles - unfortunately their cousins will follow!

Had lots of birds singing. Lots of Blue Tit pairing, and a pair of Treecreepers! Think I have seen Blackbird fledglings, already! Also had the Squirrel collecting nesting material - in the Owl box!!!

Most of the birds Ive seen lately are paired up or displaying. I have also seen Snowdrops(flower) and some Daffodils just about ready to flower..Early spring this year I think.. :bounce:

amasara said:
Our chipmunks are scurrying about - must be spring soon (they must be out of all the birdseed they packed off last fall!) Have seen buzzards flying (they don't come back here until Mar.15th usually )- and 2 grackles - unfortunately their cousins will follow!

Our chipmunks are still sleeping, but I did see something a week or so ago. It was brown and stringy....Oh yeah I remember now, they call it grass..from last summer. But then we got another 20 cm of snow and the temperature dropped to -25C last night (about -10F). I guess I'll have to wait till spring for spring.

Scott

The Moorhens at the local pond are engaging in their usuall fights on the water plus the Mandarins are displaying.

Cheers Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back