• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avon Avians

United States
Hello folks!

The springtime is soon to be here, and with the arrival of warm weather, the giant green darner (Anax junius) will return with the migratory birds and butterflies. The green darner is possibly my favorite of all dragonflies. It is one of the most famous dragonflies, and to me, a symbol of pond life, right up there with the American bullfrog and the water lily.

There is a pond not far (a few miles maybe) from our house that sustains a population of green darners and other dragonflies and damselflies.
Since green darners are strong fliers (and some are migratory from the south), I suspect that a few darners fly over our house to reach their breeding habitats in the spring. Even the nonmigratory dragonflies might fly around our area, since there is a sluggish river only about 500' from our house. I've even seen some dragonflies in our backyard (though I've never seen a majestic green darner that far from water).

Does anyone have any tips for attracting green darners to our backyard? A pond of some sort is a given, but is there anything more specific?
In my personal observations, green darners are active fliers, and they can easily cover the distance of a pond in seconds. Do they prefer to fly over large ponds or lakes, or will any expansive, sunny area be sufficient to attract them?
We probably wouldn't have the space for much of a large pond, although something like a 4' x 6' x 2' deep pond might work out in our backyard.

Do they prefer sunny or shady ponds? Obviously, sunny ponds often get algae growth, but also grow aquatic plants, and in my experience, most dragonflies prefer to be active on sunny days.

Also, since green darners lay their eggs in the stems of plants, I suspect that aquatic plants are also a given in their habitat.

Any input would be appreciated, especially from personal experience, but I do want to mention that not all dragonflies have the same preferences. What may work for some species might not work for green darners, since dragonfly behaviors can be very distinct.

Thanks in advance. God bless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back