• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you wished for a bird in your Garden, what would it be? (1 Viewer)

As a fairly recent birder, I just like to have a wren, haven't seen one yet (or if I have I didn't know : )

Do have a green woodpecker occassionally and two goldfinches now visit daily.

What do I need to do to get a wren? (the nyjer seed worked for the goldfinches)

Mary

Some dense bushes and a bit of scrubby undergrowth below them seems to work in my garden.:t:
We have at least one wren family nesting in the garden

1. Eurasian tree sparrow - The Eurasian tree sparrow is the smaller cousin of the introduced English house sparrow, but it is not as widespread. A small, isolated population exists near St. Louis, Missouri and into Illinois. Luckily I live a few miles away from where they have been sighted in IL.
2. Eastern bluebird
3. Blue jay
4. I already have a pair of red bellied woodpeckers show up, but would love to have any different species of woodpecker or flicker show up.

Lazuli bunting would be my most wanted. Last year I had a western tanager that nested in the woods behind my house and I got to see and hear him sing from his perch for most of three months. I so wished to have him back but he didn't return. He would be a close second to the l.b.

A Dunnock, Sparrow or a Yellowhammer would do for me. I seem to remember 35 years ago I'd have seen these, but nowadays no chance.

'Tis a shame

Simon

A nice big pileated woodpecker would be nice, along with red & white breasted nuthatches and a red-headed woodpecker (more chickadees would'nt hurt either :p and maybe we could throw in a tufted titmouse or two :p )

Red-Belllied Woodpeckers are really cool to have around. I have two that reguraly visit my feeders. They make that very distinct loon-like call that I love.

I didn't wish for it but was amazed to see a Wryneck land on the top of a telegraph pole while looking out of my front window. What a garden tick! For the record it was on 30 August, 2003.

Being realistic, Tufted Titmouse - they're not too far away, but I'm just slightly out of range for them.

Being honest (but unrealistic) - Painted Whitestart! (Except this would have certain drawbacks - such as the fact that I'd never be able to tell anyone.)

Superb fairy-wren http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Malurus-cyaneus I'm trying to build up some sort of habitat for them, and I know they live in the parks around us and in gardens a street or two away. Funny thing is is that I mentioned it to someone I live with, and he said that he's seen them before down the back under the rose bushes. Now, I know he knows what a fairy-wren looks like and he's pretty good at knowing what birds he has and hasn't seen before but I still don't believe him, I guess I just don't understand why they would be there and surprised that he wouldn't have told me at the time, as usually he does. So perhaps now I'll just have to keep and extra look-out, just in case he was right ;)

We do occasionally get Cedar Waxwings coming into or through our yard. But, what I would really like to see in our yard is a BOHEMIAN WAXWING.

* I would really like to see this bird anywhere!

I have been to the northern USA looking for it a few times in the winter and have been unsuccessful even on those trips.

Edit: I just noticed that this is a repeat for me. My post #24 also stated that I wanted a BOHEMIAN WAXWING. Perhaps this added post will bring one to our yard. Wouldn't that be a nice Christmas Present!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back