• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1. 2. 3. 4. Raptors Today! (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

Hi again. :hi:

Once again I had a day with the Raptors.

One Snowy Owl female was seen on the way to work. I stopped and made sure I was seeing who I thought I was seeing with my bins. She was off in the distant woods where I had seen the male in January. She was too far for my el cheapo camera to do any good.

Two Cooper's Hawks were seen today. One flew across an open farm field and the other was up on a wire eating someone.

Three Kestrels! The first was on the phone line as I was backing out of the driveway. :eek!: I don't have my camera! I went back to the house, got the camera and of course the bird was gone! About two miles from work there was another on a wire. I stopped the car, opened the window and he took flight! :'D On the way home there was another one! I slowed down the car and picked up the camera. GONE!

Four Turkey Vultures were sunning themselves on top of an old barn. Wings spread out wide ... catching some rays. I made the sharpest turn into the road leading to that barn! Window down.... One took flight. Camera out of the window ... the other three fold their wings and wonder what this crazy person in the little red car is up to. SMILE! Got them! :t:

In total I counted eight Turkey Vultures today but I photographed four. They are not the best photographs but I'm not the photographer in the family. But for me that's great! :-O ;) ((Ok. Not great but a start! LOL!))

Tomorrow is another day ... another battle with the camera shy birdies.

Lydia

Attachments

• k9b 158.jpg
    k9b 158.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 19
  • k9b 159.jpg
    k9b 159.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 20
Hi Lydia,

Stone me, and I thought I was doing OK when I saw 1 (one) Buzzard this morning; no I didn't bother to stop and try for a photo, I've plenty of flying Buzzards and there was a really BIG artic behind me.

Well you said it , not good but at least a start. What AM I talking about, ANY photo of a Turkey Vulture would have me jumping around like a whatever jumps about a lot. But still you really are going to have to upgrade your equipment, we need to SEE these (for us) impossible birds.

Thanks for the info and hope all is well with you and Mike and the extended family.

Bill.

An impressive haul on the way to work Lydia. From the bus into Halifax I occasionally see a Kestrel, once I saw two :eek!:. If I was driving and saw a Snowy I think I would be a danger to other road users. That's why I catch the bus of course, just in case ;). Vultures are a bit thin on the ground too. I believe we have some Turkeys in East Anglia. I'm not doing very well here. I'll just have to rely on your pics |=)|.

Hi Lydia.
I don't know how you ever get any work done. If I lived in an area where that little lot were flying around, it would take me a lot of years to become blase about them. I couldn't ever envisage a time when I would get fed up of seeing Snowy Owls flying about.
Hope all is well with you both.

Baz.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back