• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help ID OF 3 FUNGI (1 Viewer)

mdb2

HI Two found on unidentifiable dead wood the polypore looking specimen on silver birch Maybe Dichomitis? all in deciduos woodland N/hampshire
kind regards mike

Attachments

• 2015-11-05 10-00-35 (B,R8,S4)  ID.jpg
    2015-11-05 10-00-35 (B,R8,S4) ID.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 2015-11-05 11-53-33 (B,R8,S4) ID.jpg
    2015-11-05 11-53-33 (B,R8,S4) ID.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2643 ID.jpg
    IMG_2643 ID.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 35
Hi Mike,

The first is (the asexual state of) Ascocoryne sarcoides

I'm unconvinced with Dichomitis for the second, which usually has a distinct black line around the base. I think I can make out an 'upper surface' on the right, so I wonder if this is a common Polypore (e.g Trametes sp.?) which has changed orientation (perhaps because someone has moved the branch?). Sometimes polypores go a bit crazy when they can't work out which way is 'up'....

The gills in the third photo certainly look free from the stem so I reckon it should be Pluteus cervinus....

Cheers,
Nick

Many thanks Nick, I was if I am to be honest being optimistic with the Dichomitis I have been on a roll of late finding Heicium Cirrhatum and Antrodia carbonica locally N?Hampshire its been a good season so far
kind regards Mike

I've never even heard of Antrodia carbonica! I'll have to keep an eye out for it.....

Dichomitis is fairly common around here and seems to appear most often on Hazel branches in winter.

Cheers,
Nick

I don't suppose that's the "unknown" Antrodia species that's been bumbling about Hampshire recently? Last time I checked (2014ish) it was still unidentified and potentially a new species. I recall there was something that turned blue (spores?) under the microscope.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back