• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short Focus binoculars (1 Viewer)

do re meep meep

I am looking for binoculars to watch not only birds, but also butterflies, bees, and other small critters. A must is a short focus down to 3 or 4 feet. Magnification 7x to 8x. Must not cost an arm and a leg either. Any recommendations?

I am looking for binoculars to watch not only birds, but also butterflies, bees, and other small critters. A must is a short focus down to 3 or 4 feet. Magnification 7x to 8x. Must not cost an arm and a leg either. Any recommendations?

I am not familiar with the Pentax Papillo, but have read several good reports on here from others using them for the same type of application. You may want to search the posts for that item.

Tero posted this link awhile back. http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=981101&postcount=10

Do re meep meep,

Your post reads Pentax Papilio all over; a friend of mine uses the 8.5 x for butterflies and dragonflies and is very satisfied. The 6.5 x model has a larger FOV which may be handy for flying insects.

Greetings, Ronald

Hi Do re meep meep,

I have both the 6.5x and 8.5x Pentax Papilios - the 6.5x are slightly easier on the eyes. I took both out one (fairly bright) day and couldn't detect any differences in image size and brightness when using the two at close range - I guess the increased mag in the 8.5x was evened out by its decreased light gathering.

I use them mainly for (perched) dragonflies but they have brought me a whole new world of small bugs / beetles.

I wouldn't want to use the Papilios for seawatching all day but they are Ok for general birding.

HTH

Hey Roadrunner,

You should try the new Opticron Imagic BGA SE 8x32. These are a stunning pair of high quality general wildlife watching binoculars. I have a pair of them and they have an 8 degree filed of view but most importantly you can focus on your shoes. This feature, makes them ideal for watching butterflies, dragonflies, moths etc.

Check them out at http://www.opticron.co.uk/

Three or four feet is quite extreme; you'd have more choices if 5-6 feet were acceptable. I can think of only three model lines that focus under 4 feet--Pentax 6.5 or 8.5x21 Papilio, Eagle Optics 6 or 8x32 Ranger SRT, and Brunton 7.5 or 8.5x43 Epoch. The Bruntons cost an arm and a leg. The Rangers are brighter than the Papilio, but the Papilio are much better for close work and are otherwise fine for distant viewing. I like the Papilio a lot.

--AP

watch out for binocular effect

I have a pair of 8x43 roof that will focus down to 4ft. However at that distance the images do not completely overlap. I strongly suspect that for your application the suggested reverse porro's are the best bet.

The Eagle Optics Ranger series are great binoculars. We have three pair; 10x42, 8x42, 6x32.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4698

The 6's hang out near the window closest to the feeders. They are strikingly bright and crisp. They have a close focus of 3', lifetime no fault warranty and cost under $300. The 8x32 may also be a good choice for you.

Eagle Optics is a great company. Bought my Fieldscope from them as well. They will let you try and compare one or several pairs for 30 days.

Good luck.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back