• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera bags. (1 Viewer)

Henry B

Can any one recomend a bag that will take the the 350D +sigma 50-500mm lens ,it,s getting a bit of a pest having to dismantle every time.I move. hb

Henry B said:
Can any one recomend a bag that will take the the 350D +sigma 50-500mm lens ,it,s getting a bit of a pest having to dismantle every time.I move. hb

I have a LowePro Mini Trekker which will take a Sigma 170-500 mounted on a Nikon D70 (same size as yours)

Get them from here

With that combo in the bag it'll also take a Mighty Midget II scope, Sigma 18-200, Speedlight & various junk.
The front pockets then contain fieldguide, gaiters, overtrousers, filters, gloves etc.
By moving a strap you can carry a tripod vertically too.

Hi Henry,

I use a Lowe Pro "Off Trail 2" - this is a belt pack style top loader & readily takes my Canon 20D with extended grip & 70-200 f2.8.

Added bonus is a pull out rain proof cover and 2 removable lens pouches which fit either side of the camera compartment.

An outstanding piece of kit giving excellent service.

Hope you don`t mind me crashing in!!

Henry B said:
Hi Henry,
Hope you do not mind me crashing in on your thread but I was wondering if anyone knew of a bag for a similar set up, that was not "stand out black".
I have a 20D and sigma 50-500. A subtle grey, brown or camo would be best. I like the idea of the waterproof Lowepro but it could scare the birds and animals 10 miles away. If anyone knows of such a thing, I would appreciate any info.
Hope you get yours, Henry,
Thanks,
John.

Bags

Hi Chris & co,

I also need a rucksack or sling type bag for EOS 10 (about to be u/g to 350D when I can afford it) with 300mm lens and teleconverter on (again to be u/g to 400 or 500 soon). I bought the new Lowepro Slingshot 100AW, great bag but too small to leave lens attached. The 200AW may just about do it but it looks tight. Has anyone used one / tried one ?

Also would the Micro Trekker 200 do the trick or does it need to be the mini trekker ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Nick

Henry B said:
John, have a look at Billingham bags ,very nice but a bit pricey. What the heck it,s Christmas..hb

nickb said:
Hi Chris & co,

I also need a rucksack or sling type bag for EOS 10 (about to be u/g to 350D when I can afford it) with 300mm lens and teleconverter on (again to be u/g to 400 or 500 soon). I bought the new Lowepro Slingshot 100AW, great bag but too small to leave lens attached. The 200AW may just about do it but it looks tight. Has anyone used one / tried one ?

Also would the Micro Trekker 200 do the trick or does it need to be the mini trekker ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Nick

I would go for the Mini Trekker as it will take a 500mm lens mounted.
I get that lot in mine plus a small scope, speedlight, 18-200mm, batteries, lots of filters, bird guide, leggings, coat, water, tripod strapped to the side.
It's not big or cumbersome and using the chest & waist straps is very comfortable - you can carry a lot of weight on your back and not notice it - not so with a shoulder bag.
It's not rated as 'all weather' but I've been out in monsoon like conditions and nothing got wet.
I've stuck velcro all over mine inside & out with corresponding velcro on all my bits & pieces so things like lens caps, remote, filter boxes have somewhere to live & don't get lost.

nickb said:

I think the mini trekker would be a better one to go for, it holds a lot more gear, so will be more flexible. That said dependnig on which lens you're looking to get it might not be big enough - if you're looking at one of the Sigma zooms (135-400, 170-500, 50-500) then you'll be fine. However if you're looking to get a 500mm prime lens then the mini trekker will be too small for this set up and you'd need to look at something bigger like the photo trekker.

Camera Bags

Thanks a lot fellas, really useful info. I'll try and get the mini trekker I think as it would be a Sigma 170-500 Zoom at most that I would need.

I like the idea of the slingshot as you can quickly get the camera out to take the opportunist shot rather than taking the whole bag off your bag etc but understand your point about the the extra stuff the mini trekker can carry.

Cheers
Nick

postcardcv said:
I think the mini trekker would be a better one to go for, it holds a lot more gear, so will be more flexible. That said dependnig on which lens you're looking to get it might not be big enough - if you're looking at one of the Sigma zooms (135-400, 170-500, 50-500) then you'll be fine. However if you're looking to get a 500mm prime lens then the mini trekker will be too small for this set up and you'd need to look at something bigger like the photo trekker.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back