• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera advice...R7 (1 Viewer)

The Robin

United Kingdom
Hi, after looking at the amazing photos on here and YouTube I'm getting itchy feet and want a camera and get involved in this amazing hobby.

I'm going down the used route and convinced myself of an R7. I've no idea if this camera would be ideal for me or what I need so any advice would be welcome.

I have set my heart on the R7 but willing to take advice if other cameras are a better buy or far easier for a novice to use.

Going down the used route its still not cheap and on top of that I will need a lens but I'm willing to sell my grandma so I can start this hobby, so any Advice on lenses would also be welcome, bearing in mind I'll only be buying one for some time (I've only got one grandma to sell). The lens would have to be a workhorse that can take pictures of birds in flight, trees both near and far(ish). Again I'll be going down the used market.

Disclaimer, I know nothing of cameras so less technical talk and more encouragement would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Wow that was quick Simon. Thanks for answering my query.
By your reply the R7 would seem to be suitable and a good buy. I've sort of decided that this is the camera I want and it more about which lens would be the best.
Thanks

I've been seriously looking at the Canon R7 myself as a replacement for my aging (96,250 shutter count) D7 ii. The excuse for not getting a mirrorless until now was that I was waiting for them to come out with the mirrorless D7, which the R7 is and all reviews seem to see it as a fantastic up-grade. Price is the issue, but honestly considering what I paid for the D7 and inflation since, it is actually a better buy than the D7 was!

For birding you really do want a variable telescopic lens with 100-400mm or 100-500mm being the current choices you have for the RF mount.

I know all of us are always drooling over the professional level white L series lenses ( I am exclusively using some of them myself), but looking just now, the Canon RF 100-400mm is running about $600 here about 310 GB pounds - sorry, I've forgotten the keystroke for pounds. The 100-500mm RF mount lens will be the ideal, but the price is high. Later, when you get used to the new kit, the RF 800mm would be a tempting buy for those long shots.

You can get a convertor from Canon to connect any EF mount lenses you already have, but you'll get the best out of the camera using the RF mounts that are designed for it.

Whatever kit you decide on, the photography bug will get you. In my own mind it doesn't count as a full tic on my life list until I have a good photograph and even then I'll make a trip out for a bird long ago added to the life list just to try to get a "better" photo. I can look at photos taken eight years ago when I first started the photography and distinctly remember in detail taking that photo and usually exactly where I took it without having to look at the GPS location. It's like reliving that days birding.

I've been seriously looking at the Canon R7 myself as a replacement for my aging (96,250 shutter count) D7 ii. The excuse for not getting a mirrorless until now was that I was waiting for them to come out with the mirrorless D7, which the R7 is and all reviews seem to see it as a fantastic up-grade. Price is the issue, but honestly considering what I paid for the D7 and inflation since, it is actually a better buy than the D7 was!

For birding you really do want a variable telescopic lens with 100-400mm or 100-500mm being the current choices you have for the RF mount.

I know all of us are always drooling over the professional level white L series lenses ( I am exclusively using some of them myself), but looking just now, the Canon RF 100-400mm is running about $600 here about 310 GB pounds - sorry, I've forgotten the keystroke for pounds. The 100-500mm RF mount lens will be the ideal, but the price is high. Later, when you get used to the new kit, the RF 800mm would be a tempting buy for those long shots.

You can get a convertor from Canon to connect any EF mount lenses you already have, but you'll get the best out of the camera using the RF mounts that are designed for it.

Whatever kit you decide on, the photography bug will get you. In my own mind it doesn't count as a full tic on my life list until I have a good photograph and even then I'll make a trip out for a bird long ago added to the life list just to try to get a "better" photo. I can look at photos taken eight years ago when I first started the photography and distinctly remember in detail taking that photo and usually exactly where I took it without having to look at the GPS location. It's like reliving that days birding.
Thanks for your reply Owen. Looking back at my OP I realise I should have made this post more about lenses than the camera as I've more or less decided on the R7.
I will look and check prices of 400 and 500 lenses.

If you're decided on a used R7, consider this - MPB who are the biggest seller of used gear are selling them at £1040 ish used and you'll get 6 months warranty.
E infinity are selling them brand new for £925 with a 1 year warranty (which could be return to base)
However both Panamoz and HDEW sell them brand new with a 3 year warranty for the same price as MPB sell used.

If you're decided on a used R7, consider this - MPB who are the biggest seller of used gear are selling them at £1040 ish used and you'll get 6 months warranty.
E infinity are selling them brand new for £925 with a 1 year warranty (which could be return to base)
However both Panamoz and HDEW sell them brand new with a 3 year warranty for the same price as MPB sell used.
i've bought 2 new cameras from Panamoz, Nikon D500 and Sony A1,big savings and longer warranty (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back