• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

See Ya Norton...but... (1 Viewer)

McMadd

You should see the other bloke...
So, the Norton licence expires in 2 weeks and I think the time has come to say ta-raa.

I know there have been endless threads on this topic but with the pc world seeming to move so fast I'd like some current thoughts from you all...so, what are the current favoured replacements?

What do I need to guard against and what does that job best?

viruses, trojans, malware, spyware, etc, etc...tell us all what works best right now!

(I know I should buy a MAC but that ain't happening just yet...

Cheers all
Mark

Hi Mark,

I use Kaspersky (Complete Protection) and have no problems with it. My understanding is that its not a resource hog on a PC but that Norton is. I did not have a good experience with Norton and so got rid of it.

Kaspersky is King at the moment.

Dean:t:

I'm using Zone Alarm Internet Security suite, and have been for a few years now. It's trapped several nasties and is very easy to set up. Renewal fees are pretty good too.
Of the free stuff, the Zone alarm firewall is ok, AVG or Avast for anti virus, Spybot and Adaware for the malware/ads. All these loaded onto my sons pc and he's not had any bother either. He's not got Avast, stayed with AVG for anti-virus.

Kaspersky would not load on any of my computers because of traces of old security software left on after uninstalls of other products so download a free trial first or be prepared to dive into the registry. The new Norton 2009 is not supposed to be a system hog any more and the free trial ran beautifully on one of my PC's. I have Zonealarm on at the moment and am waiting for it to run out. The latest version has caused me several problems, computer slow to boot and turn off (sometimes 10 minutes on XP and sometimes never on Vista) while on the Vista machine if I come out of Firefox I can't go back in without rebooting so I have taken Zonealarm off that machine and am running AVG free plus Ad-aware Anniversary plus a free firewall with no problems at all.

I remember reading a thread about this a while ago now and McAfee was also reported to be a resource hog similar to Norton. I can't comment on Norton and McAfee as it stands now but intend to stick with Kaspersky.

Dean:t:

We had McAfee for a couple of years and then OH decided to go to Norton as it was free. I hated it. After 5 month of nagging ;) we returned to McAfee and everything is good. The PC runs far faster, I don't keep getting error messages, and personally, I would recommend McAfee. :t:

We have AVG Free 8.0, Zone Alarm, plus ZA Firewall, and Spybot too. We aim towards free software if we possibily can.

When we bought our current PC, (a few months ago) Dell offered up an extra package of McAfee but we turned it down. I think we where going to be charged about £50 extra for it. We paid £900 for the existing PC plus extras. So enough was enough, for our new PC without any hidden extras.

We had McAfee, along with AVG attached to our old 'Win 98' PC, and it worked fine. No problems as such. We where aware that it was there and that was about all

Never had anything to do with Norton so cannot comment on it at all

Another package I would recommend is 'Malewarebytes Anti-maleware' (another freebee), I use it to check my PC once a week and it is good to check if any undesirables are lurking. It picks up everything beyond what AVG does.

Last edited:
I use AVG free edition (by grisoft) which can be downloaded from File Hippo, also use Adaware for spyware and Spybot search and destroy - with those three on the go, nothing gets by. In my opinion they are just as good as the versions that you pay for

So, the Norton licence expires in 2 weeks and I think the time has come to say ta-raa.

I know there have been endless threads on this topic but with the pc world seeming to move so fast I'd like some current thoughts from you all...so, what are the current favoured replacements?

What do I need to guard against and what does that job best?

viruses, trojans, malware, spyware, etc, etc...tell us all what works best right now!

(I know I should buy a MAC but that ain't happening just yet...

Cheers all
Mark

We use Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2009 here on 3 machines. Their tech support by phone is excellent.

If you (or anyone has problems with old security stuff left around), Kaspersky will quickly assist you in disposing of it.

Wouldn't go back to Macafee or Norton.

I've used Zone Alarm in the past too ...it's ok.

Folks use AVG free, being free, I just don't know if this can be refreshed as often as Kaspersky. Kasperky labs update their virus database as frequently as every 2 hrs

jamie

We use Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2009 here on 3 machines. Their tech support by phone is excellent.

If you (or anyone has problems with old security stuff left around), Kaspersky will quickly assist you in disposing of it.

Wouldn't go back to Macafee or Norton.

I've used Zone Alarm in the past too ...it's ok.

Folks use AVG free, being free, I just don't know if this can be refreshed as often as Kaspersky. Kasperky labs update their virus database as frequently as every 2 hrs

jamie

hi Jamie

I have to admit that the AVG does do a regular update any time of the day or night so it is 'on the ball' so to speak. :t:

There is a lot of updating going on on a regular basis. As it needs to be done otherwise the software becomes redundant. :t:

After swapping Norton 2008 for Kaspersky 2009 on our computer running Windows xp I find that Kaspersky is even slower than Norton and appears to cause us more problems. Can't wait till it expires to change back.

Anyone had any experience of Bullguard which has come pre-loaded on this little netbook? Not keen to go back to Zone Alarm after conflicts with Windows upgrades, and not sure whether to spend the £40-odd a year for Kaspersky or any competitor. How much less safe, or less resource-intensive, are the free offerings? And is it worth buying one of the full-blown suites or is anti-virus and spyware-blocker enough?

Graham

Graham
Have a look on here they have shed loads of stuff. I've used lots of programs from here and they've all been kosher, no viruses or trojans and they did what it said on the packet.
Although, I will say there are 4 members of my family and 3 work colleagues using the free version of zone alarms firewall without any bother at all. I use the Zonealarm Internet security Suite and again have had no problems with it.

Thanks, gents.

Keith, what do you think you get with the paid for ZA package which you don't with the free stuff? Is it just the simplicity and peace of mind or do you think the protection is really greater?

Thanks,
Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back