• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What trousers do you wear in the current UK cold snap? (3 Viewers)

Legs I never find a problem (use Montane trousers), managed a beach walk on the Ayrshire coast the other day with a subzero temperature and had no issues. Hands and face were another issue, I've just bought some new thicker double layered woollen? gloves which are grand but sadly a little too thick to actually do anything with so every time I wanted to hit pause on my audio recorder I had to take them off.

Legs I never find a problem (use Montane trousers), managed a beach walk on the Ayrshire coast the other day with a subzero temperature and had no issues. Hands and face were another issue, I've just bought some new thicker double layered woollen? gloves which are grand but sadly a little too thick to actually do anything with so every time I wanted to hit pause on my audio recorder I had to take them off.
I just popped over to the wetland and wore my usual trousers ( Rohan Troggings ) with a pair of waterproof overtrousers on top.
It was bright sun, 2-3C and a gentle cool breeze.
Yes the overtrousers certainly cut the wind but I'd forgotten how uncomfortable overtrousers are to wear... I was walking like John Wayne and swishing along with every step taken!
I took them off and certainly could feel the difference, but then could walk more comfortably if a touch cooler.

I think all in all, if the temperature drops like this again, accompanied by a strong wind, I'll resort to my cheap and cheerful double thickness Lidl worktrousers.

The forecast here is getting much warmer after tomorrow so.... but ah, rain and yellow wind warning :(
Such is life!

I have only just come across this post but can add that my husband wears shorts and sandals with no socks wherever we are, whatever the weather!!! Yes, even up high in the Sichuan snow! His current shorts are from Decathlon if that's any use! :ROFLMAO:

I have only just come across this post but can add that my husband wears shorts and sandals with no socks wherever we are, whatever the weather!!! Yes, even up high in the Sichuan snow! His current shorts are from Decathlon if that's any use! :ROFLMAO:
I think I take the opposite view and cover up well!

Since starting this thread I've had a birthday and been treated to some Paramo Cascada trousers.
They are lined so are warm and windproof, plus waterproof.

Last week we went out with the ranger for the wetland. We were somewhat hesitant as the weather forecast was awful.
Yep, it really was, the forecast was right!
We had galeforce wind, rain blown in that stung your face. Despite this the ranger kept saying 'its good to be out'
We were less than convinced.
I have to say, the Cascada trousers were superb. I kept dry and warm.
They are a significant purchase but are recommended.

I am like you and cover up well. No-one has been generous enough to have gifted me some Paramo trousers but I do have some good Rohan ones and avoid going out in extreme weather 😉 Sometimes it is definitely not good to be out!
Good to know though that your birthday trousers are keeping you dry and warm (y) Enjoy!

I am like you and cover up well. No-one has been generous enough to have gifted me some Paramo trousers but I do have some good Rohan ones and avoid going out in extreme weather 😉 Sometimes it is definitely not good to be out!
Good to know though that your birthday trousers are keeping you dry and warm (y) Enjoy!
I too have some Rohan ones, but I experienced some incredibly cold conditions before Christmas, where the wind went straight through them. I needed something more substantial. That kicked off my thread here.

I must admit, despite the awful conditions last week, it was good to be out.
It also brought home the old adage 'there's no bad weather, just bad clothing'.
It's true!

I wear M&S tights under my trousers. They work wonders - supposed to keep you warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot.
It is good to be out and about at this time of year when everything's coming to life again. Good to blow the cobwebs away too but having just returned from Vietnam, it feels mighty chilly to me!

I wear M&S tights under my trousers. They work wonders - supposed to keep you warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot.
It is good to be out and about at this time of year when everything's coming to life again. Good to blow the cobwebs away too but having just returned from Vietnam, it feels mighty chilly to me!
I think after last week, my cobwebs are well and truly blown away.

We are picking up odd things on the wetland. In the gale last week we saw a Bar Headed Goose in with some Canada Geese. There are less ducks, they are moving out. Just waiting for the summer visitors to come in, and as it's a newly created wetland, we have little idea of what will come along!

I think after last week, my cobwebs are well and truly blown away.

We are picking up odd things on the wetland. In the gale last week we saw a Bar Headed Goose in with some Canada Geese. There are less ducks, they are moving out. Just waiting for the summer visitors to come in, and as it's a newly created wetland, we have little idea of what will come along!
Exciting times! Whereabouts are you?

We have been down there a few times visiting family but it costs us a fortune. We could have a fortnight birding somewhere warm for the same price as a weekend in Devon :ROFLMAO:

We have been down there a few times visiting family but it costs us a fortune. We could have a fortnight birding somewhere warm for the same price as a weekend in Devon :ROFLMAO:
I can believe it.
The aftermath of covid has caused an explosion of air b&b etc cashing in on holiday makers, pricing locals and job hunters out of renting. It has been featured on national news often. It's a sad situation.
... but if you've come back from somewhere warm, you've had better weather than we've had.
Another day, another deluge...

For really nippy I put on some US milsurplus ECWCS Gen3 level7 over trousers, like sleeping bags for your legs. Nearly dozed off wearing them in front of the TV they were so cozy.

Peter

For really nippy I put on some US milsurplus ECWCS Gen3 level7 over trousers, like sleeping bags for your legs. Nearly dozed off wearing them in front of the TV they were so cozy.

Peter
An update:
As said, I was lucky enough to been treated to a pair of Paramo Cascada trousers for my significant birthday.
They are double lined primarily as part of Paramo's waterproofing system, but it also provides warmth too.

The other day we went out for a walk around the Wetlands with the ranger. It was galeforce winds and horizontal rain stinging your eyes. The trousers were absolutely fantastic, not a hint of dampness and warm too.
I think they've provided me with not only a warm but also a waterproof solution!
Cheers
Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Back