• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Wild Pidgeon (1 Viewer)

hocko

ITS' been with me for week now, in my average size garden fed from my hand not scared by me, it can fly but spends most of the day pecking around i am sure its feral but must have been hand reared to be so tame.

South Northants UK

My garden has about 17 regular Pigeon scavengers daily, but only one of them tries to look in the back kitchen window, or through the frosted glass door, to see if what I'm doing may be to its advantage, like scooping up an abundant supply of peanuts. My inquisitive visitor is not like its fellow Pigeons: it's more beige/pink in hue, just a tad more nervous and, unlike its colleagues, isn't interested in mixed fruit and prefers peanuts. Sometimes it becomes so agitated by the prospect of food, it flaps its wings outside the translucent glass door until it attracts my attention sufficiently to be assured of plentiful broadcasting of comestibles, ideally peanuts. It's going to do itself an injury if it persists in such displays, although so far it's had sense enough to take a rest on the fence and, with head cocked to one side, assess results, waiting for the turning of the door handle which usually signifies success. He reminds me in many ways of Wonky Bill, an erstwhile friend of mine who ultimately succumbed to the unwelcome attentions of a Sparrowhawk. Wonky used to tap on the window with his crooked beak (hence, wonky bill) when it was time for his breakfast... much missed, bless him. They say there's nowt so queer as folk, but I reckon Pigeons could give us a few lessons in quirky personalities.

I miss hearing about Wonky Bill (I was very sad when you told us of his demise) and am glad you've been adopted by another pigeon friend. Does he have a name yet?

Almost two years have elapsed since your question, and I'm sorry for not responding sooner, but I was hijacked by Facebook and politics. My friendly Pigeon (if that's who he is, and not an imposter) still sits on the kitchen door handle almost daily and looks in through the frosted glass, flapping his wings. I'm not familiar with the migration habits of Pigeons (if they migrate at all?) but he does seem to be the same bird every time, dusty pink/beige hue. Somewhat unimaginatively, I christened him 'Handel'. It is strange that once in a while a single bird will perform antics quite unlike those of his companions. In a recent wildlife TV programme it was shown that birds in a flock take turns in being the 'pathfinder' leader, taking 'the point' flight position. Perhaps it's true of other activities, or is it more likely a 'fall guy' takes the risks in foraging for food because that bird is the only one daft enough to stick his neck out, while the 'wise guys' hang back and wait to see if he survives...?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back