• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yellow legged gull attack (1 Viewer)

eddy the eagle

This afternoon I was with Peter from London at Punta Carnero,Algeciras Spain when we witnessed a devastating attack by a mob of 20+ Yellow legged gulls.Our attention was first drawn to the presence of the gulls swirling just above the sea about 200 metres away.on closer inspection it was apparent that they were mobbing a bird that had gone into the water.It was difficult at first to identify the bird but then it tried to fly a few metres and it was then obvious that it was an exhausted peregrine falcon.Over the next half hour the gulls continued to attack the falcon on occasions lifting it out of the water.The falcon continued to try and fly but it was obvious that it was doomed and the gulls eventually killed it.A sad story I know but one I just had to share....... Regards Eddy.

do you think it was a healthy bird they hit into the water? or a tired bird they caught off guard? I know gulls do this to raptors and other non water birds. If they get a chance they will kiill one.

Unusually there were a pair of peregrines near Punta Carnero today.

I wonder whether your bird had fallen foul of one of its own species before being attacked by the gulls.

I was not aware of the peregrine before the attack so I don´t know the precurser to the events.It was obvious that the bird was trying to make landfall as every time it tried to fly it was towards the shore.There have been peregrines in the area most days and these are probably from the resident birds on Gibraltar.I think a fully fit peregrine can outfly a gull in normal circumstances but this could have been one of the long distance migrants going north and was exhausted after crossing the Sahara,the weather has beenbad in Morroco of late and on the day there was a strong NW wind against the bird....Eddy.

I've seen a flock of Yellow-legged Gull separate an adult Purple Heron from a migrating flock, and chase it relentlessly til lost from view over sea. Never would have thought Purple Herons could be so agile. On the purple theme, I've also seen a Yellow-legged Gull carry off a Purple Gallinule chick

I witnessed a novel incident yesterday in my back garden, and not a pleasant one either. I'm used to seeing a pair of Jackdaws visiting regularly, to pick up peanuts in shells, along with other birds with similar tastes, such as Jays and Magpies, although they tend to avoid coming at the same time. On this occasion I was surprised to see a third Jackdaw suddenly swoop down for a peanut, whereupon it came under immediate and violent attack from the Jackdaw regulars, who gave no quarter. All three birds flapped, pecked, tumbled and jinked across the lawn, with the interloper getting the worst of it. So savage was the fight, I feared for the life of the newcomer, outnumbered two to one. After about half a minute (which seemed a very long time in this flurry of feathers) there was a pause as a fourth Jackdaw alighted on the garage gutter, as if it were intent upon joining the melee, but it was too late to affect the outcome of the fierce encounter so it joined its (presumed) mate as it beat a hasty retreat. The whole affair was over in less than a minute, but I was disconcerted by the ferocity of the Jackdaw pair's defence of their territory. A squabble I could have expected, but this resembled more a grim fight to the death. It seemed to me that if Jackdaw number 3 hadn't scarpered pronto, its body would have ended up twitching its last on my lawn. I suppose it demonstrates that life is a serious business for wild birds and sometimes a genuine struggle for survival...

James Bean -
Thank you for the vivid account of the dastardly encounter in your yard. I guess that is why they call them "wild" birds. However, it would be interesting to enter in their psychie just for a moment as to relate to why they behave the way they do, outside of what we already know about them.
Birdhouse Guy
Cheyenne WY

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back