• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best option for non-DSLR point and shoot digital camera for Swarovski DCA adapator (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
I am really trying to tap into the knowledge of the people in this forum B :)

I have a Swar ATS 80 HD and the DCA adaptor. I also have a Canon EOS20D digital SLR, but I am NOT talking about using digital SLR's in this enquiry.

Perhaps rather naively I thought getting a suitable Point and Shoot compact digital camera would be easy. I was wrong :C

From reading threads and posts I think what I am looking for is a 10 megapixel (or higher) point and shoot compact digital camera that also has:

1. A remote control option (without a 2 second delay!). Was all gung ho for the Samsung NV15 until I read about the 2 second delay. Also don't really want to set up from scratch with one of the SRB-Griturn mechanical devices which provides a scaffold structure to allow a conventiona press release cable to work.

2. The ability to fit a lens adaptor that will allow me to screw in one of the DCA adaptors (28mm, 30, 37, 52, 58). The lens adaptor needs to be a good fit onto the camera.

I have read threads and views for almost all of the past 2 days and every time I think "This is it, this is what I need" I find a fatal flaw (e.g. 2 second delay on remote control for Samsung NV15). I know that many people have to adjust what they have rather than my situation which is to buy the right thing at the start, but I really would be grateful for any advice you guys can give.

Hope to hear from you,

Michael.

Hi Mike,

I don't know if my solution exactly fits your needs, but don't rule it out until you've seen this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Lens-Adapter-for-Most-Compact-Digital-Cameras_W0QQitemZ220076043479QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220076043479&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have the same scope as you and the DCA, which I use with a Fuji F31. Onto the 'foot' of the adapter, I have permanently attached a Manfrotto quick release adapter. The camera is screwed onto a Q/R plate and clips on and off in seconds. The large threaded hole on the universal adapter screws onto the 37mm optional plate of the DCA.

It isn't perhaps as secure a fit as the 'tube adapter' method I think you're referring to, and there can be a little lateral movement of the camera, but in practice it doesn't bother me too much. When I'm out in the field I just set it up and keep the whole thing in a small rucksack, and can attach it to the scope in seconds when needed.

The benefit of this system is that you don't have to limit yourself only to cameras that have a bayonet or screw thread around the base of the camera's lens. Virtually any camera will fit, or can be made to fit with a little tinkering-even an SLR or small video camera.

Other than the Q/R plate, the only modification I've made is to replace the plastic headed bold with a metal one with a nut on both ends. Once it's set up and adjusted for your specific camera, you just tighten the bolts up and forget about it. The one I ordered is very similar to the one in the link, but is specifically for Fuji cameras (slightly different dimensions ?) and came from a dealer in Glasgow. Search for 'Universal lens adapter' and you should find a few options. It's also possible to attach a cable release adapter to mine as there is a female 1/4" thread in the underside of the camera attachment bolt, but I never use one. Instead I rely on the 2 second timer or just press the shutter if I can get fast enough speeds.

Re. the camera, the Nikon Coolpix 5100 seems to tick most of your boxes and is very popular for digiscoping but I don't think a remote is available. Is this absolutely necessary?

Steve

Last edited:
Not many point and shoots left with screw on threads. I use the Canon A570 (now updated to A590) with great results with my DCA. It is very popular with people who have the DCA and it requires an adapter from Canon.

Others use the Nikon 5100/6000 with equal success.

Neither is perfect, but with practice you can get great results from both of them.

In the P&S world, you should not get too hung up on megapixels. More megapixels can mean more noise on tiny P&S sensors. Anything over 6 MP will do fine.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback. It just illustrates how confusing this stuff is.

I hadn't seen the adaptor - may be an option and it obviously works. I am keen to mount the camera firmly onto the DCA adaptor and after some digging there do seem to be quite a few lens/filter adaptors out there that allow connection to the DCA. For others who might read this, I have pasted in a couple of links:

http://www.srb-griturn.com/camera-adaptors-306-c.asp
http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/A650.html
http://www.pennineonline.com/acatalog/DigiScoping.html

The issue on remote releases is a bit more difficult. Having read threads here and elsewhere my impression was that a remote release was essential to prevent camera shake. Ulimately, you want a live image on screen, with the opportunity to "click" at the right point. A delay using the self-timer would not do this. However, I haven't tried this in the real world - I need to decide on the P&S camera and buy the adaptor BEFORE I can see if i need a remote release - and by then it will be too late if I have bought a camera without one. Hence my drive to identify teh best option.

Getting info on remote releases is difficult. I did find one site that shows how to alter the programming within Canon P&S camera to allow a home-made switch/battery/cable to operate the shutter release via the mini-USB port on the camera. But I I just want something I can buy and use!

Once again, thanks for you feedback. I know it takes time and I am very appreciative.

Michael.

Couldn't sleep, so spent three hours trawling the internet :-(

Firstly, found out that the Nikon Coolpix 6000 has the option of an IR remote control.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1635/accessories.html

The 5100 doesn't appear to have this option. Also, by downloading the User Manual, it appears that you can select options for the IR control i.e. 2 second delay, 10 s delay or IMMEDIATE shutter release. Good news!

So I went back to look at the Samsung NV15, downloaded its User Manual and it has the same option for immediate shutter release as well as delayed. I don't know why other listers didn't know/use that information, but it looks as if I have at least two options - one more expensive than the other. I didn't really want to go down teh Sony route because of the use of their MemoryStick technology.

In both cases, the IR receiver is on the front of the camera, but that's life!

Michael.

Most digiscopers either use a cable release or release the shutter by hand. The Nikon P5100 takes a dedicated cable release bracket which fits into the flash bracket and is an excellent piece of kit. There is always the option of a multi directional IR release which has a receiver which again sits in the flash bracket and allows the shutter to be released from quite some distance. Loads of options.

http://www.srb-griturn.com/cable-release-bracket-for-nikon-coolpix-p5000p5100-1372-p.asp

Thanks for all the comments. I have been searching, looking and thinking about this a lot and am erring towards a Nikon p6000 with the UR-E21 adaptor ring to connect to the DCA and a Ml-L3 remote release. Not the cheapest option, but maybe the most elegant :-C

Amazon have a good offer on at the moment and there is also a £50 off a digital photo frame offer. Could get it cheaper, but this way I get 2 year UK warranty etc.

Does anyone have experience with this set up or can offer any insights on its suitability and/or better options?

Michael.

Not sure if the Ml-L3 remote control will work with the Coolpix 5100/6000 cameras, have you checked? It's an infra red unit and I don't think they have an infra red receiver. I thought it was intended for the dSLRs.

Mike, I don't know why you won't consider digiscoping with a DSLR. You already have one of the best tools in your hand for a number of reasons: better and larger DSLR sensors, better eyepiece, optical viewfinder vs. LCDs, generally more manual controls. And all you need is just a 50mm lens, with no adapter or ring (I've been touting this so much in this forum it's becoming annoying to some people). All this, providing you don't mind carrying around a little more weight and spending for a good bracket support for the weight of the DSLR.

If you do insist on a P&S, consider this: maximum 4x zoom, more pixels is not necessarily better (8 Mp is good enough), a camera with good LCD resolution (if you can find out the pixel count from its specs it helps, but I would recommend 230,000 pixels or more if such exists on a P&S).

Thanks for the comment (Wings). The only problem is that I have never bought a really good 50mm prime lens for my Canon. I have the plastic 18-55 mm and a metal 28-105, both of which work - but badly (and a stunning 100mm true macro for my macrophotography). The manual focus on the plastic 18-55 is at the front and not much good. The 29-105 is better but still rotates on the zoom when trying to focus - its weight plus the cameras weight often cause it to swing with gravity. And then there are the f-stop limitations......

I looked at getting a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 but the 1.8II is not recommended and the 1.4 is circa £280.

So I am going towards the P6000 for ease of use, but may well also go down the 50mm 1.4 lens route if I can find a good cheap second hand one. Do you know of any? ;)

Michael.

Not sure if the Ml-L3 remote control will work with the Coolpix 5100/6000 cameras, have you checked? It's an infra red unit and I don't think they have an infra red receiver. I thought it was intended for the dSLRs.

Yes it does work (checked Nikon specs and User Manual) :t:

I looked at getting a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 but the 1.8II is not recommended and the 1.4 is circa £280.

Michael.

With the way they work on a scope an f1.4 lens wont look any brighter than say an f3.5 one so don't waste any money thinking an f1.4 will be better. If you go the dslr route then look for a lens with a good reputation for sharpness, good lens coatings etc.

Paul.

I am really trying to tap into the knowledge of the people in this forum B :)

I have a Swar ATS 80 HD and the DCA adaptor. I also have a Canon EOS20D digital SLR, but I am NOT talking about using digital SLR's in this enquiry.

Perhaps rather naively I thought getting a suitable Point and Shoot compact digital camera would be easy. I was wrong :C

From reading threads and posts I think what I am looking for is a 10 megapixel (or higher) point and shoot compact digital camera that also has:

1. A remote control option (without a 2 second delay!). Was all gung ho for the Samsung NV15 until I read about the 2 second delay. Also don't really want to set up from scratch with one of the SRB-Griturn mechanical devices which provides a scaffold structure to allow a conventiona press release cable to work.

2. The ability to fit a lens adaptor that will allow me to screw in one of the DCA adaptors (28mm, 30, 37, 52, 58). The lens adaptor needs to be a good fit onto the camera.

I have read threads and views for almost all of the past 2 days and every time I think "This is it, this is what I need" I find a fatal flaw (e.g. 2 second delay on remote control for Samsung NV15). I know that many people have to adjust what they have rather than my situation which is to buy the right thing at the start, but I really would be grateful for any advice you guys can give.

Hope to hear from you,

Michael.

Michael

If you can, test the 6000 against the 5100 in a camera shop, take scope and tripod and try it out for yourself, you will find that the 5100 has less vignetting than the 6000, see for yourself, you say you are drawn to the 6000but dont say why? presume you want the RAW facility, the 5100 is cheaper if you can live without the RAW?

The remote query can be easily and cheaply solved with the SRB cable release for the 5100, it is very small and unobtrusive, and it works well, you will be able to take pictures at very slow shutter speeds, and its more responsive than a remote, does the remote allow you to do bursts? SRB can also provide you with the adapter to connect the 5100 camera to the DCA adapter, many of us use this method and it works well

Paul

I think the Panasonic LX3 is probably the best of the current crop of high-end digicams for digiscoping. Because the lens is so wide/fast, it would be best used with the lowest fixed mag widefield eyepiece your scope supports. Friendly "photographers" interface too, unlike the Nikon's goofy menus on its flagships. Moreover, Panasonics micro 4/3 G1 is probably the BEST digiscoping camera on the market now if you can swallow the $700 pricetag.

But when the Nikon D40 dSLR is now selling on Amazon for ~US$410 INCLUDING the 18-55mm zoom, these flagship digicams are hard to justify unless weight/size are the overriding concerns.
cheers,
Rick

Last edited:
But when the Nikon D40 dSLR is now selling on Amazon for ~US$410 INCLUDING the 18-55mm zoom, these flagship digicams are hard to justify unless weight/size are the overriding concerns.
cheers,
Rick[/QUOTE]

Let's get back to the 50mm lens for a DSLR. If you keep an eagle eye out for a used Canon 50mm f1.8 Mk I (not the newer plastic Mk II, whose manual focus ring is at the front) you are on your way to DSLR digiscoping. Places to look: eBay, Fred Miranda's forum (excellent).

Double checked the Coolpix 5100 and Coolpix 6000 with remote controls situation. The Coolpix 5100 definitely does not accept input from the Ml-L3 remote contol. The only remote release option is a third party shutter release bracket and cable eg from SRB/Griturn. The Coolpix 6000 on the other hand does accept a wireless remote control signal, I guess from the Ml-L3 unit. This was part of the 'upgrade' which produced the 6000 from the 5100. Certainly a plus when considering the choice of which to buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back