• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke 8x42 nr focus @ 1.2m (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Doesn't seem to be any mention of Hawke binos on here but I wondered if anyone has come across them (lower range)?

I bought a pair (new to market) at an Agricultural Show recently and quite honestly for £160 they seem a bit of a bargain. 8 x 42 prism lens, fully waterproof/fog proof, near focus at 1.2m, compact, lightweight with a very sensitive touch focus dial so fast focussing easy. Apparently endorsed by Bill Oddie but I don't believe that sales pitch for one minute!! Still, very good value for what they are.

Last edited:
deborah4 said:
Doesn't seem to be any mention of Hawke binos on here but I wondered if anyone has come across them (lower range)?

Hi Deborah

Cant say i have looked through the roof prism models but my local Hilton photographic shop in Hull are selling 8 x 42 Hawke waterproof porro's
These are described as fully multi coated 8 .2 degree fov with twist up eye cups
Had a very brief look through a pair and to be truthful for daytime use they appear to be very good
Probably a Chinese clone of something like Minolta or cheaper Pentax currently £74.95 i think
These models seem to be another example of what progress is being made in the lower end of the market
Many people are reluctant to even consider Chinese based optics and in truth i myself tend to prefer traditional Japanese and European designs etc but it cant be denied there is an upward movement afoot in other manufacturing countries
Overall i have to fall on the side of saying i think this is a good prospect for newcomers and those folk who want a cheap general binocular
You might want to try these "waterproof" porros as i imagine the view though these will be an improvement over the roof variant
As to actual waterproofing on porros many others with more knowledge than myself will point out there are limitations with this theory but even if the Hawke porro's are water resistant rather than outright waterproof its a benefit

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard

Thanks for your comments.

Hawke Optics are actually a division of Deben Group Industries based in Suffolk. The pair I have are described as FOV 130m @ 1000 which is slightly limited scope for spotting and 'chasing' but great for IDing. They do have twist up eye caps and are from the Hawke Platinum range (if that means anything!). Overall the greatest benefit is the amount of light and sharp image so I would agree for someone looking for binos around the £200 mark, I think these are excellent value for a good all round lower range binocular (I paid £160 but they actually retail at £200).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back