• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull at Cheltenham Today (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I have only just realised that the gulls in Cheltenham are probably Lesser Black-backed rather than Great Black-backed. Then today the floods gave me the opportunity to get very close to a couple of gulls at a nearby school paying field - see attached pictures.
They look like Yellow-legged as the backs are quite a light grey and the legs are yellow.
Could they be Yellow-legged Gulls in this area (after recent heavy rains)?
Alan

Attachments

• Gull1.JPG
    Gull1.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Gull2.JPG
    Gull2.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 182
They are lesser black-backed gulls. The very strong sunlight is giving them the appearance of pale grey backs (yellow-legged), but the shadowed areas show them to be black-backed. Super images, too.

'Five Yellow-legged Gulls were seen over high tide roost this morning (2 Adults, 1 3rd summer, 2 2nd summers). Slimbridge is one of the best sites in the whole of the UK for Yellow-legged Gulls, they start to build in numbers from June and can be seen until October. The peaktime for Yellow-legged Gulls at Slimbridge is at the end of July and early August, when up to 60 birds can be seen.'

copied from the slimbridge sightings page at:
http://www.wwt.org.uk/news/213/sightings.html

Heres a good tip i sometime use for the commoner species(although it doesnt always work, only mainly on adults) GB pink legs, LB yellow legs, HG pink legs, BH yellow legs. The leg colours alternative as the gulls go down in size. To remember the first colour just think of the huge greater black-backed with girly pink legs!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back