• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

750d + Sigma lens - focus problem? (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
New camera arrived today and test drove it with an old sigma APO lens.

It only works in AP and wide open. The pictures are ok but not too sharp. I also took some pictures of a Griffon (big!) but the pictures are badly out of focus. I will attach later.

Its bizarre because when looking through the viewfinder all the pictures were really sharp but press the button and they're not great. I could clearly see the underside of the bird. I don't understnad whats happening between this and registering the photo. Some of the photos were at 1/1600 and 1/1000 sec so they should be sharp?

I also took so pictures of some static objects bark on trees etc. - all hand held. I tried manual focus - agin clear through the viewfinder but not on review.

I have read about fine tuning the focus.

I'm off to experiment with the normal lens but if anyone has any interim ideas let me know. As said I'll try to put some pictures on later...

If I'm honest its why I stopped using the lens before but I'm hoping now there might be a fix.

Rosbifs

I turned the camera to M and wacked the speed up to 1/2000 and higher and the results are better with the Sigma. The cannon basic 18-55mm produces great results so its not the camera.

I was doing some rough maths - 500mm sigma x factor 1.6 = 800mm
So I really need to be shooting in the 1/1000's to stop camera shake.

I will contact Sigma at the same time but the lens is 'old' 20years...

Last edited:
I turned the camera to M and wacked the speed up to 1/2000 and higher and the results are better with the Sigma. The cannon basic 18-55mm produces great results so its not the camera.
I will contact Sigma at the same time but the lens is 'old' 20years...

This happened to me when I moved from my Eos 50E (or possibly, the earlier Eos 600) to a current camera (Eos 3 or 10D, can't remember). I was so looking forward to using my Sigma 500 F/7.2 APO but after one "shot" the camera locked and needed resetting by taking the battery out. Sigma UK did re-chip one lens for me, but couldn't help with my "birding" lens. I remember something being said that Canon had changed the voltage necessary to drive the aperture motor.

This happened to me when I moved from my Eos 50E (or possibly, the earlier Eos 600) to a current camera (Eos 3 or 10D, can't remember). I was so looking forward to using my Sigma 500 F/7.2 APO but after one "shot" the camera locked and needed resetting by taking the battery out. Sigma UK did re-chip one lens for me, but couldn't help with my "birding" lens. I remember something being said that Canon had changed the voltage necessary to drive the aperture motor.
Oddly enough, my old SLR was a 50E and I too used it with a Sigma f/7.2 500mm APO. When digital started taking off I investigated possible options (this was quite a few years ago, can't remember the details) and concluded that trying to get the lens rechipped for a DSLR was unlikely to be worth it. A couple of years ago I did get my first DSLR and long lens, and compared the results with what I used to get with the Sigma. The latter now look pretty unimpressive, though I liked the lens at the time.

Last edited:
Mate don't do cheap, you wont like the results :)
The "new" Tammy 150 - 600 or the Siggy equivalent are nice pieces of glass.
Worth waiting and putting the Franc's away for.
Ebay has good deals on 2nd hand.
Cheap glass is just that

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back