• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new (to me) Nikon 7x35 binoculars (1 Viewer)

MiguelATF

Just bought for a very reasonable price a pair of what I think are Nikon Action 7x35 binoculars, in very clean condition.

XE2_Mar11_24_Nikon_Action_7x35_#1.jpg

The views are very bright - and significantly clearer than the handful of older 7x35 binoculars I've looked through.

XE2_Mar11_24_Nikon_Action_7x35_#2.jpg

The focus wheel is a bit stiff but feels accurate. They fit well in my hands. These ones have the wider 9.3 degree view--

XE2_Mar11_24_Nikon_Action_7x35_#3.jpg

I remember reading an informative post here about the different generations of 7x35's... these ones look to my (uneducated and ignorant) eyes like possible Mark I or 1st generation of the Actions. Maybe some more expert Nikon aficionados can either confirm or correct that?

XE2_Mar11_24_Nikon_Action_7x35_#4.jpg

Did I mention... the view is both clear and sharp, and almost has a dimensionality to it.
One last photo--the obligatory shot of what they look like as one is holding them--

XE2_Mar11_24_Nikon_binocs#2.jpg

I'm looking forwards (pun intended) to trying them out, in night skies, around the house, and in the woods.

Yes, that's a first generation Action, quite an optically outstanding binocular as you've discovered.

Here's a link to a review I did which begins a thread with lots of information about the various Actions.

Yes, that's a first generation Action, quite an optically outstanding binocular as you've discovered.

Here's a link to a review I did which begins a thread with lots of information about the various Actions.

Thank you for the link, Henry. It's an edifying and informative read. And when all's said and done, these are surprisingly - and compellingly - clear and capable binoculars. I think what I'm enjoying most out of them is the combination of clarity - and a sense of 'dimensionality' if that makes any sense. Birds - and other objects - seem to stand out in a hard-to-define way from their surroundings.

Hi Jan,

Possibly early 1960s or even late 1950s, but I am not sure.

The back plate on the right may not be original.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back