• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard sp. (Norfolk, UK) (1 Viewer)

MarcellC

Hi all

I was out walking on Syderstone Common this morning and had this couple of birds flying over, circling once before carrying on in a northern direction.

After comparing the photos (albeit distant ones) and the photos from Rob Hume's fieldguide (as well as the BWPi dvd later at home), I ID'd these as Rough-legged Buzzards. I was told this was highly unlikely for this time of the year and because I didn't get a look at the upperside of the tail, ID of RL Buzz could probably not be confirmed. I could of course be totally out of the ballpark with this ID.

Anybody willing to make a call based on these photos? (I've only cropped and sharpened the photos - no other editing whatsoever) The last photo was taken of the one bird as they were 'tracking' away northwards.

Cheers
Marcell

Attachments

• Buzzard sp 9704 Syderstone Common(Norfolk, UK).jpg
    Buzzard sp 9704 Syderstone Common(Norfolk, UK).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Buzzard sp 9705 Syderstone Common(Norfolk, UK).jpg
    Buzzard sp 9705 Syderstone Common(Norfolk, UK).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Buzzard sp 9706 Syderstone Common(Norfolk, UK).jpg
    Buzzard sp 9706 Syderstone Common(Norfolk, UK).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Buzzard sp 9707 Syderstone Common (Norfolk, UK).jpg
    Buzzard sp 9707 Syderstone Common (Norfolk, UK).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Buzzard sp 9708 Syderstone Common (Norfolk, UK).jpg
    Buzzard sp 9708 Syderstone Common (Norfolk, UK).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 58
Common Buzzard I'm afraid. If it was a Roughleg it would appear both larger and more slender, particularly in the wings. Roughlegs are only a winter visitor to Britain I'm afraid.
Chris

Thanks Stuart and Chris. It's very pale compared to other Common Buzzards I've seen in the UK - would this just be a pale morph?

Marcell

If you scroll down to post number 2396 in this thread you'll see a slightly paler bird that I saw at Upton Warren last Friday. Buzzard plumage in notoriously variable.

Thanks Sy - very interesting bird on your pics there, would've had me wondering a bit.

Stuart: gosh, indeed pale - now I understand why mine aren't considered particularly pale.

Thanks Makpe - looking through all the photos the breast band does seem to be consistent (at least in that it's there in some form or other)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back