• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at The Masters (Augusta, Georgia) (1 Viewer)

Jim Martin

Friend of the auk
Here's a tough one.

I love the US Masters, which is on right now - the finest tournament in word golf. But every year I end up trying, and failing, to identify a bird that is calling away in the background.

If you watch (or rather listen to) footage its almost constantly calling, and it seems to be louder than anything else there (there's a lot of birdsong on the go). The call consists of six-eight notes, chi-chuh-chi-chuh-chi-chuh-chi-chuh, with one high 'chi' followed by a lower 'chuh'.

Whatever it is its always calling in Augusta in April! I'm guessing its some NW warbler but if I'm honest I haven't a clue. Any ideas?

Jim

CBS, which as far as I know is the network who have done the masters for a lot of years is famous for using whatever nature sound they think sound good as backdrop, so you should not expect anything you hear to actually come from Georgia.

Niels

Having tried to identify calls during the Ryder Cup, I can confirm that the background sounds are artifically added! However you can try another game of identifying where the backing recordings were made :)

Here's a tough one.

I love the US Masters, which is on right now - the finest tournament in word golf. But every year I end up trying, and failing, to identify a bird that is calling away in the background.

If you watch (or rather listen to) footage its almost constantly calling, and it seems to be louder than anything else there (there's a lot of birdsong on the go). The call consists of six-eight notes, chi-chuh-chi-chuh-chi-chuh-chi-chuh, with one high 'chi' followed by a lower 'chuh'.

Whatever it is its always calling in Augusta in April! I'm guessing its some NW warbler but if I'm honest I haven't a clue. Any ideas?

Jim

Sorry as a golfer, I have to take issue with the Masters being the finest tournament in world golf.
Augusta is beautiful (thougth the wildife may not enjoy the blue dye put in the water!!), the coverage is superb, but nothing comes close to the Open Championship. Links golf on a wet, windy day is the test of a true champion.
I do enjoy the bird sounds at Augusta though (just to keep this post vaguely bird related!!) though I have my suspicions that the birds you hear died years ago and have never been within 1,000 miles of Georgia

Last edited:
Quote:

Sorry as a golfer, I have to take issue with the Masters being the finest tournament in world golf.
Augusta is beautiful (thougth the wildife may not enjoy the blue dye put in the water!!), the coverage is superb, but nothing comes close to the Open Championship. Links golf on a wet, windy day is the test of a true champion.

Seconded most vehemently.
Also, watching the coverage last night there is a sample of footage which they repeat regularly (presumably when the American hosts are away for adverts) which features a warbler flitting about in a tree and then a raptor (accipiter) flies distantly overhead.

Even as a Scot I agree that the Masters IS the finest golf tournament in the world, superb course, tricky approaches and deadly greens. Even the armchair birding is better!!

Last edited:
Watching the broadcast right now. They did have an ovenbird on earlier, but have been going pretty heavy with eastern towhee in the past few minutes.

Here's a tough one.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back