• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2011 (1 Viewer)

Mike Montier

Just a short walk to the beach at Mondrago. Audouins gull, Thekla lark, Crossbill, Sardinian warbler, Crag martin, Cirl bunting and a Barn owl tonight.

Quite a few Common buzzard in Calvia, they are never common, and good numbers of Common crane around the Island.

Good birding in 2011, let's hope Mallorca has a bumper year. Not long to wait as migration here is super early.

Alpine Accentors

Happy New Year Mike, and thanks for starting the new thread :t:

I saw 4 Alpine Accentor yesterday where the track that leads from the Cuber reservoir reaches the cliffs overlooking Soller. Very confident birds, managed to get really close up. Also a fair number of Goldcrest along the same track throught the pine forest.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve. Happy New Year to you too, let's hope it is a great year in Mallorca. Thanks for the info re Alpine accentors, we are going to Cuber soon so I will look out for them. Surely I will see them this year! There are I think at least nine Common buzzard being seen around the Island but all I saw today was a Sparrowhawk, Corn bunting and Thekla lark. Not many Starling here in the South yet, they seem to be all in the North!

Salobrar de Campos today. Four Marsh harrier and two Osprey. A few Flamingos and Black-winged stilts, Curlew, Avocet but few other waders surprisingly. Also nearby in a field towards Campos, eleven Common crane. A lovely sight as they were flying in formation against a deep blue sky. Excellent.

Salobrar de Campos today. A short visit: 62 Flamingo, 1 Osprey, 5 Marsh harrier, 260 Golden plover, 2 Spotted redshank, Greenshank, Cattle and Little egrets.

Galatzo today. 13 Griffon vultures, 3 Black vultures, 25 Raven and one Alpine accentor at the top. (No I didn't see it, someone took a photo and showed me on the way down!) It is a long way up there and I conked out before reaching the summit. I will try Alaro Castle next week which must be easier. Salobrar de Campos tomorrow so I will post.

Salobrar today: a great day for raptors, 5 Marsh harrier, 4 Booted eagle, 1 Osprey, 1 Red kite, 2 Kestrels. Also 24 Flamingos, 100 Lapwing and 42 Cormorant.

re Corncrake

Hi

According to Bannerman & Bannerman (1983):

Historically regarded as a very rare visitor to Mallorca and Menorca, mainly in autumn and winter. In 1931 there was no 'modern' record for Mallorca and the same was said about Menorca. One was reported (killed) near Alcudia on 9 January 1940, one examined in Menorca in 1957, several on Mallorca sent for taxidermy (Felanitx 31 August 1964, Palma 9 May 1967 and 15 Seotember 1969) and finally one heard by a visiting ornithologist at Cala Ratjada on 7 May 1976.

My most recent book on the birds of the Balearics is at work so I can't comment on any more recent records but I have found a reference to one found dead at Sant Antoniin, Ibiza in 2005 (Ratification of bird records in the Balearics. Rarities report for 2006).

Martin

In the latest book it's cited as a Balearic rarity, requiring supporting notes to be sent to GOB.

Martin

Tossals Verds yesterday: a group of 13 Griffon vultures so there are still good numbers around the Island and hopefully they will stay to breed. A few Raven, 4 Booted eagle and one Red kite on the walk back to Cuber. Certainly the best walk we have been on from so far: Cuber to Tossals Verds and back, in a big loop. It was pretty hard mind you! Spectacular views and good birds. Who could ask for more?

Quite a way if you are walking! Not sure about public transport but there must be a bus going along that way. I am sure others can help and will no doubt post here. You are in the right place at the right time so you should have some great birding. May can be very exciting, Albufera, Albufereta, Albercutx tower and Cases Velles are all fantastic for migration. Red-footed falcons are seen most years sometimes in good numbers and the past couple of years have been very good for Lesser kestrels. Griffon and Black vultures are always around, Honey buzzard on migration, Woodchats, Bee-eaters, Golden orioles, the list goes on! Plus a lot of surprises so good luck to you. Do PM me if you need more information but sorry I am not much help with the transport. I live in the South and don't go that way as much as I would like to.

S'Albufera will about about a fifteen minute bus ride from Puerto Pollensa. Direct and frequent too. No problems. Just ask for a ticket to 'Parc Natural'.

S'Albufera will about about a fifteen minute bus ride from Puerto Pollensa. Direct and frequent too. No problems. Just ask for a ticket to 'Parc Natural'.

Thanks Andrew,I neglected to say we will be cycling, what kind of distance will it be?
Reg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back