• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isle of Mull birding (1 Viewer)

spock

I have booked a cottage for two weeks from mid April, the location is Croggan,and the cottage is just 200 yards or so from the shore line of Loch Spelve,
Has anyone been to this area ? if so what might I be likely to see,I have done quite a bit of research on what could be about at this time of the year,but I was hoping some one may have been and could advise me if there were any hot spots to head for,or what I might expect to find for sure.
Any pointers would be helpful, so thanks for looking in.
Ian and Sue

Hi Ian and Sue

Have you looked at the pretty comprehensive Opus article? At the bottom you will find a link to the Mull Birds website (one of the best I've seen), they have a Latest Sightings page, which includes archived reports.

You'll have a wonderful time and Loch Spelve is a brilliant area too.

Hi both. Just to add to what Delia has said I would also recommend the book - Birdwatching on Mull and Iona. It's only a few quid and its well worth it. The wildlife watching tours offer great value also.

To be honest the whole island is amazing but the place I liked best was Loch Buie. Some great birds and an absolute stunning location. The place I'd recommend which has nothing to do with birding is Cafe Fish in Tobermory - seafood at its best.

Hope you have great time.

Rich

Last edited:
Ok,thanks for all the help,and I will give all what has been said a look,
thanks delia, and CWGriswold,
not wanting to wish time away,but roll on April....

Hi both. The wildlife watching tours offer great value also.

Rich

Went for just a day last Feb... We used a local guide called David Woodhouse I'd found on the internet who was excellent. Got us close to otters, and bird wise he found golden and sea eagles (and he didn't feed the sea eagles which for me just isn't the best way to see them), hen harrier, peregrine and took us virtually round the whole island. And he respected the wildlife more than us! Was a really worthwhile day, his wife knocked up some amazing soup and sandwiches which kept us warm... Overall very impressive would recommend you did this first thing and get the local knowledge from him as to where to spend the rest of your precious holiday!

Hope you have fun, cheers George

Bear in mind that anywhere in Mull is a long drive from anywhere else, especially from Croggan! It is a beautiful place, spent two days at anchor off Croggan waiting for the weather.

once again, many thanks,and Mono, I will bear that in mind,I had been thinking that a 20 mile drive along Norfolk roads would = 5 miles on Mull.

Croggan

On August 30th last year on the road to Croggan, I saw a hen harrier and a grey heron. On the road TO the road to Croggan—i.e., the on western side of Loch Spelve—I saw a curlew.

Mid April is a great time of year to go. You will see Great Northern and Red Throated Divers in full breeding plumage, and if you are luck you may find a Black-throated Diver on some small isolated loch.

Grasspoint (close by to Loch Spelve I think, at Craignure) is great for WT Eagles, both the tall trees on the access road, and the rocky area at the end. Scan the mountain tops for Golden Eagles. Also a good time of year to go to Iona for possible Corncrakes but of course altho vocal they are hard to actually see. They arrive from Africa last week in April. Hen Harrier and Short Eared owl should be seen, I think Loch Don is a good area, on the road back to Tobermory. Will be Buzzards galore.

Nothing is seen in huge numbers and you have to expect it to be quiet at times, but its a wonderful area. Repeat visits to sites may well be required to connect.

You will need a scope.

We went with the guide mentioned at post 6, got us everything incluidng loads of Golden Eagles, 2 WT Eagles, Otters, Hen Harrier etc.

Last edited:
hi ian
i spent a week on mull october 2011 stayed at the salen hotel which was an ideal point to explore the whole island like Rich said the mull birds book is fantastic it tells you all the best places to see the wildlife my fave places was loch ba and the moorland at cruachan both awesome for harrier,goldies,merlin and wt-eagle my only downside was it rained everyday but i still had an awesome time and had 14 lifers i was told the best time to go is march,april and may i did plan to go this year but have decided to visit islay in march instead :) have a fabulous time,

Dave

'the moorland at cruachan'

Hi Davecr24, I visit mull each year but am not sure where this is, any more info would be appreciated.

Dave

A tip for finding Corncrakes on Iona: the calling ones are in cover but birds walk about in the open silently. Scan the short grass as well as looking into iris beds.

An Otter tip: if you see a car sitting still on a road near a loch the occupants may be Otter watching. By all means park near them but DON'T GET OUT - they won't thank you if you flush their Otter.

John

Last edited:
Hi Dave
cruachan is on a single track road that takes you over the top of hills from dervaig to torloisk apparently there's red grouse up there as well....... as for loch ba it's a loch at a village called knock to see the harriers it's bit of a hike there's an old derelict village south of the loch i sat and watched 1 male and 2 females hunting there plus had 3 wt-eagle,goldie and peregrine fly over whilst watching them.

Dave

A tip for finding Corncrakes on Iona: the calling ones are in cover but birds walk about in the open silently. Scan the short grass as well as looking into iris beds.

An Otter tip: if you see a car sitting still on a road near a loch the occupants may be Otter watching. By all means park near them but DON'T GET OUT - they won't thank you if you flush their Otter.

John

Oh you didn't... did you? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back