• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear from Israel (1 Viewer)

RSNaarhus

Hello

I have this wheatear that keeps nagging me. It was seen on 31st of March 2014 at Yotvata, Eilat, Israel.

The bird has been judged as a female Eastern Black-eared Wheatear (melanoleuca) but several things look odd imo. E.g. do the underwings look very black, indicating a male bird. Also the tail bar looks is very broad, rather atypical of melanoleuca/hispanica. And the mantle colour is rather greyish somewhat off for melanoleuca, imo.

Other options could be Pied or Finsch's Wheatear. Females of the latter species can be rather "male-like" but can they also show dark underwing coverts/axillaries?

And what about the peach colouration to the breast, does that exclude other species than melanoleuca?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 69
I don’t know about the underwing but I think the peachy toned breast excludes Finsch’s and yes, a tail bar such as shown by this bird is possible on both Black-eared and Pied. I would lean towards the former on what we can see on these images.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back