• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM2 or GS52? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

which do you think is better, what are the pros and cons of each in your opinion?

I am thinking of buying one of them for use on a monopod or shoulder pod for those days birding when I walk miles and don't want to be lugging a great big 80mm and tripod around. Also for travel.
I would use a 24x or 28x HDf e/p.

At the moment I am leaning towards the GS52 because it is waterproof (MM isn't?) and doesn't cost or weigh much more than an ED MM. On the other hand a non-ED MM can be picked up pretty cheap secondhand.

Cheers,
Martin.

Hi all,

which do you think is better, what are the pros and cons of each in your opinion?

I am thinking of buying one of them for use on a monopod or shoulder pod for those days birding when I walk miles and don't want to be lugging a great big 80mm and tripod around. Also for travel.
I would use a 24x or 28x HDf e/p.

At the moment I am leaning towards the GS52 because it is waterproof (MM isn't?) and doesn't cost or weigh much more than an ED MM. On the other hand a non-ED MM can be picked up pretty cheap secondhand.

Cheers,
Martin.

Hi Martin,

I think you will find the GS52 ED's pro's far outweigh the MM2 ED's. Firstly the GS52 ED uses a 24mm telescope prism inside and has a twin-element ED objective lens, whereas the MM2 only uses a binocular prism and one ED element. Therefore you get a far better light transmisson and a brighter image through the GS52 ED.

Other Pro's to the GS52 ED are;

* A 30% wider FOV.
* Sharper and better contrasting.
* Closer focus 2.5m on GS52 ED/ 3m on MM2 ED.
* As you stated the GS52 ED is WP & Nitrogen Filled.
* Guarantee: GS52 ED 30years/ MM2 ED 10years.
* The GS52 ED has a rotating tripod sleeve, usefull for when viewing from hides or inside cars.

The only advantage to the MM2 ED is the size and weight.

MM2 ED = 478g
GS52 ED = 759g

Length;

MM2 ED = 177mm (When closed) 217mm (When open)
GS52 ED = 200mm

Hope this helps and good luck!

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Rob.

Pretty conclusive then!

You have confirmed what I already knew. I checked out the GS52 when it first appeared on the scene and was very impressed. I'm not at all familiar with the MM.
I used to own the GS665 but decided I wanted something bigger so sold that (I have since regretted this at times) and bought a Nikon ED82, which I like but it has a limited number of e/ps. So I am buying a secondhand ES80 ED with HDF zoom. And to compliment it I think the GS52 would be in order.

I think for £250ish the GS52 is a marvel for when the ES80 is too heavy. I reckon on top of a monopod with a shoulder brace it'll work wonders without pulling my shoulder off!

Thanks,
Martin.

I have just sold my Opticron Classic, Imagic and Slik tripod to buy something lighter. I heard such good reports of the Nikon ED50 I made up my mind to go for that. However, I went to the dealer's today and looking through the Nikon I was very disappointed at the field of view, even on a fixed lens. Apparently the Nikon is not good for those who wear glasses, as I do.
The dealer suggested the GS52 and when I looked through that it was much, much better, even on a zoom. Now I don't know what to do as the Nikon is lighter and I was sort of looking forward to the kudos of the name after always having Opticron (only joking - well almost). Have you heard this problem with the ED50 before?

I have just sold my Opticron Classic, Imagic and Slik tripod to buy something lighter. I heard such good reports of the Nikon ED50 I made up my mind to go for that. However, I went to the dealer's today and looking through the Nikon I was very disappointed at the field of view, even on a fixed lens. Apparently the Nikon is not good for those who wear glasses, as I do.
The dealer suggested the GS52 and when I looked through that it was much, much better, even on a zoom. Now I don't know what to do as the Nikon is lighter and I was sort of looking forward to the kudos of the name after always having Opticron (only joking - well almost). Have you heard this problem with the ED50 before?

Hi Ivybank
All things being equal, it's the viewing experience that matters. I bought the Nikon ED50 just before the GS52 was launched. I've never looked through the GS52 but have obviously read good things about it. I'm a glasses wearer as well and my experience with the ED50 is 98% positive (I use the x13-40 zoom EP). Things do get a little dicey towards the end of the zoom range - not that the image deteriorates (although it does become marginally darker) - but, as you say, the field of view reduces considerably. Given my time again, I'd compare the two scopes and go with the one that gives me the best view. The GS52 is, what, 100-150g heavier, so not too much in it. Plus, it is cheaper (always nice :t:).

Essentially, I love my ED50, get a lot of pleasure from the viewing experience and would happily recommend it. I've had no problems at all with chromatic abberation or poor focus/image sharpness through the zoom range. I can always see what I want to see through it. But, if you find the GS52 easier on the eyes, gives you a better view, and saves you a few pennies as well, then go for it.

Let us know what you decide :t:
All the best
Hobbes

P.S. Are you sure the eye cup was twisted down on the eyepeice (EP) when you tested it? Just an after thought.... lol

Last edited:

Hi,

I have just given up a Nikon ED82 in favour of Opticron ES80 ED. Althought the view is a bit better through the Nikon and there's no doubt it has the designer label kudos, it just doesn't compare to the Opticron for practicality in terms of the variety of eyepieces to choose from and the good eyrelief of them.
The kudos element was certainly a factor in me buying the Nikon but I now think I was being vain really. I put the badge above the usefulness of the tool a I feel a bit of a wally for it!

If the Opticron does what you need and saves a few quid then go for it. I have looked through the GS52 with a fixed e/p and was very impressed. It is on my wish list. I haven't looked through the Nikon 52 though so I can't compare.

Best wishes
Martin

graham_t;1630346 Which fixed mag eyepiece did you try?[/QUOTE said:
It was either the 24x or 28x. I thought it was as good as the GS665 ED I used to own. But it was a fairly bright but cloudy day so I wouldn't expect to see too much difference.

Thanks for your comments. I'm still thinking it through, but it's really got to be the GS52 as I just can't go back and buy the ED50 now. Thanks also for talking about the eyepieces. I only tried the zoom the salesman fitted, but will try some others before I buy.

Thanks for your comments. I'm still thinking it through, but it's really got to be the GS52 as I just can't go back and buy the ED50 now. Thanks also for talking about the eyepieces. I only tried the zoom the salesman fitted, but will try some others before I buy.

Whatever you buy, let us know how you get on with it. Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Martin.

enjoyed reading your threads especially the comments about the nikon ed82 which is a scope i was seriously considering.

so, forgetting the money, if the nikon ed 82 is sharper and clearer, why would you opt for an opticron ??

What do the extra e/p 's allow for you?

If i was to use the scope for digiscoping, should that sway me towards the nikon??

Is the new top opticron a good choice but not as clear as the nikon??

im considering borrowing money for the swaro ats80 hd, but could probably buy a nikon without borrowing money, but now reading your threads maybe an opticron.....? !

Interesting read your posts. Regards. Mark

Mark f

This thread considers the differences between the Opticron Mighty Midget MM2 against the new Opticron travelscope the GS 52 GA ED and so it is fair so say that neither of these would compare with an 82 m scope.

Martin Fagg says above:-

I have just given up a Nikon ED82 in favour of Opticron ES80 ED. Althought the view is a bit better through the Nikon and there's no doubt it has the designer label kudos, it just doesn't compare to the Opticron for practicality in terms of the variety of eyepieces to choose from and the good eyrelief of them.
The kudos element was certainly a factor in me buying the Nikon but I now think I was being vain really. I put the badge above the usefulness of the tool a I feel a bit of a wally for it!

What you get different when you consider the Opticron is a full suite of different eyepiece options eg, a low power mag eyepiece for use as your main digiscoping set up through to the SDL zoom eyepiece for viewing of distant birds

Hope this helps

Hi,

I have just given up a Nikon ED82 in favour of Opticron ES80 ED.

Martin

I've just gone the other way! I found the image significantly better on the ED82 much sharper and brighter. This was especially evident at higher magnifications and viewing against a brightly lit background.

That said, I was very happy with my ES80 for a couple of years..... until I did a side by side test with the ED82!

Eye relief and field of view is much better on the ES80 but so far I'm not having a problem with the ED82 and I now have the 30xWW for when a wider field is needed and that is a great lens.

Perry

I've just gone the other way! I found the image significantly better on the ED82 much sharper and brighter. This was especially evident at higher magnifications and viewing against a brightly lit background.

That said, I was very happy with my ES80 for a couple of years..... until I did a side by side test with the ED82!

Eye relief and field of view is much better on the ES80 but so far I'm not having a problem with the ED82 and I now have the 30xWW for when a wider field is needed and that is a great lens.

Perry

Sorry im getting lost here. Are we all comparing a Nikon ED 82 @ £800 Body only to an ES 80ED with a HDF 20-60x zoom and SOC for £679?

The Nikon is at a different price point so you should expect it to be sharper and brighter because your are paying alot more. Plus once you put a Zoom eyepeice and SOC into the equation your looking more at Swaro, Kowa 883 prices.

Rob :t:

Last edited:

Perry

Hi Perry,
my main problem was that as I wear glasses, the Nikon zoom was terrible for eye relief and was unusable for me. The 30x DS is a fine e/p but even with that I couldn't see the whole fov with specs on. With the ES80 & zoom I can see the whole fov.
I used to use zoom e'ps before buying the ED82 and I missed the convenience. Sometime 30x just isn't enough. Also I often found myself craving a lower mag e/p with the ED82. Sometimes 30x was too much. With the ES80 I can use a 23x e/p.
Also since having the ES80 I have also realised that I prefer the focusssing knob rather than the focussing ring.

Sorry im getting lost here. Are we all comparing a Nikon ED 82 @ £800 Body only to an ES 80ED with a HDF 20-60x zoom and SOC for £679?

The Nikon is at a different price point so you should expect it to be sharper and brighter because your are paying alot more. Plus once you put a Zoom eyepeice and SOC into the equation your looking more at Swaro, Kowa 883 prices.

Rob :t:

Absolutely agree. I've also seen the ES80ED/HDF zoom/SOC combo for £599, so it is even more of a bargain!

Perry

interesting thoughts.
The reason why i was comparing these two scopes is because the ed82 is one i was considering and yet i was reading that some of you were ditching it for another.
The fact they are of a different price bracket is irrelevant. If i can save some money and get a scope that is perhaps more practical then happy days!B :)

Still confused as to what to do, but heh it is always best to be informed!

Regards. Mark.

interesting thoughts.
The reason why i was comparing these two scopes is because the ed82 is one i was considering and yet i was reading that some of you were ditching it for another.
The fact they are of a different price bracket is irrelevant. If i can save some money and get a scope that is perhaps more practical then happy days!B :)

Regards. Mark.

Even better to try them out yourself first! Whilst I don't want to hijack this thread completely (sorry Martin).......

This summer I felt the need to upgrade my ES80ED V2. I think this was brought on by some reports that the V3 was a noticeably better scope and there were some good deals on it. I had also been keen to try out the new HR80ED for a while to.

Side by side I noticed no real difference between the ES80 V2, V3 and HR80 with the HDF zoom. I also tried the SDL zoom and it was clear to my eye that upgrading from ES80ED/HDF zoom to ES80ED/SDL zoom was a better deal than going for the HR80 and quite a saving too.

A bit disappointed that I couldn't justify an upgrade I took a peak through the ED82 (a scope I had been leaning towards for a while based on others comments but couldn't really justify the leap in expense). I spent about 2 hours comparing the different scopes in the end. FOV and eye relief issues aside, as far as image goes it performed well above the other scopes. One quick phone call to the boss and I had secured permission to take the credit card out!

You may find that the improved image of the ED82 is not worth the loss of eye relief and field of view. The helical focus is not to everyones liking either. The only way to be sure is to get to a good (patient) retailer and try a few out.

Enough waffle and no more hijacking from me - back to ED50 and GS52 talk!

Good Luck

Perry

Last edited:
interesting thoughts.

Regards. Mark.

Fair enough Mark :t:

As Perry said I would try a these scopes in the field at an optics event near you. I can find out where the next one is near you and give you a list of dates if you like.

Regards,

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back