• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old v's new? (1 Viewer)

Thrupenney Bit

United Kingdom
Hi Gang,
Some questions from an old 'newbie' regarding telescopes, tripods and how the equipment has changed since buying my kit.

I bought a telescope and tripod ~ 30 years ago and only used it once or twice before other family commitments stopped me in my tracks, though have kept up using my binoculars when the chance arose.
I'm now helping a warden and volunteering with bird counts on a new wetland project a few miles from home.
The geography of the area means scoring birds whilst walking along a new footpath looking across the site and my x8 bins are not quite man enough so I've taken to getting the scope going, possibly for the first time!
The x20 eyepiece is great, allowing me to view across the wetland from a footpath as the warden has recommended.

My telescope is a straight Optolyth TGB80, x20 eyepiece, weighs in at about 1.8Kg and has a cover with a shoulder strap.
The tripod a Manfrotto 290 with a 200 head, ( floating? ) and a case which has a shoulder strap for carrying.
The head has a quick release plate which I've bolted onto the 'scope.
I've taken to carrying the tripod either on the shoulder or simply in my hand, with the legs fully extended.
The 'scope on my shoulder using the carry strap and snapping it into place using the quick release plate attached to the scope.

1. Am I right in thinking the current trend is in smaller and lighter telescopes?
I am seeing people using much smaller 'scopes, often attached to the tripod and carried using a backpack.
Looking online, these seem to be lighter but with smaller objective lens.

2. Are there changes optically within the newer telescopes?
A glance at -say- a new Kowa online, it seems that the larger objective lens telescopes are of a similar weight to mine.
Are the optics improved over time?
Presumably smaller objective lenses give a less bright image?

In a recent visit to my local camera shop I see the tripod head I've got seems to be fundamentally the same, just modernised.
I noticed the quick release mechanism now is lockable.

I'm enjoying using this telescope and tripod for the first times of using this kit in earnest, and it is certainly providing me with a means of accurately counting birds at a distance.
I was just wondering how it has all changed since I've been away....
cheers
Q

Hi Gang,
Some questions from an old 'newbie' regarding telescopes, tripods and how the equipment has changed since buying my kit.

I bought a telescope and tripod ~ 30 years ago and only used it once or twice before other family commitments stopped me in my tracks, though have kept up using my binoculars when the chance arose.
I'm now helping a warden and volunteering with bird counts on a new wetland project a few miles from home.
The geography of the area means scoring birds whilst walking along a new footpath looking across the site and my x8 bins are not quite man enough so I've taken to getting the scope going, possibly for the first time!
The x20 eyepiece is great, allowing me to view across the wetland from a footpath as the warden has recommended.

My telescope is a straight Optolyth TGB80, x20 eyepiece, weighs in at about 1.8Kg and has a cover with a shoulder strap.
The tripod a Manfrotto 290 with a 200 head, ( floating? ) and a case which has a shoulder strap for carrying.
The head has a quick release plate which I've bolted onto the 'scope.
I've taken to carrying the tripod either on the shoulder or simply in my hand, with the legs fully extended.
The 'scope on my shoulder using the carry strap and snapping it into place using the quick release plate attached to the scope.

1. Am I right in thinking the current trend is in smaller and lighter telescopes?
I am seeing people using much smaller 'scopes, often attached to the tripod and carried using a backpack.
Looking online, these seem to be lighter but with smaller objective lens.

2. Are there changes optically within the newer telescopes?
A glance at -say- a new Kowa online, it seems that the larger objective lens telescopes are of a similar weight to mine.
Are the optics improved over time?
Presumably smaller objective lenses give a less bright image?

In a recent visit to my local camera shop I see the tripod head I've got seems to be fundamentally the same, just modernised.
I noticed the quick release mechanism now is lockable.

I'm enjoying using this telescope and tripod for the first times of using this kit in earnest, and it is certainly providing me with a means of accurately counting birds at a distance.
I was just wondering how it has all changed since I've been away....
cheers
Q
Hi, Thrupenny Bit,

In the days when I carried a Swarovski ATS 80 around on a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod with a B200 head (like yours ?) I used to keep the scope on the top of the tripod and carry the complete rig on my shoulder with legs and column extended. This means one less thing to carry (and slide off my shoulder !), but more importantly it means you can get on the bird a lot quicker. You might like to try that.

I don't think the weight of 80mm scopes, and the tripods and head you need to carry them, has changed much at all. IMO what has changed is the emergence of the lighter, smaller 60mm and 50mm "travel scopes", which I guess serves two markets ; those, like me, whose birding is perhaps more mobile, covers more ground, so weight is important, and/or who prefer much lighter kit, and those who, unlike me, do a lot of birding abroad (coinciding with an explosion in cheap air travel perhaps) and want to carry their scope in their hand luggage. But, as your current scope does what you want, and you are enjoying using it, I would stick with it.

The only change you might like to look at is a change of eyepiece. I think Opticron is on record as saying zoom eyepieces now outsell fixed magnfication eyepieces by a long way, so perhaps you might like to try one. There are those who prefer fixed mag eyepieces and those who prefer zooms - so it might be worth finding out which one you are ! For bird counting 20X fixed mag may be perfect. However, you might also like to try say a 30X fixed magnification eyepiece. Some of the current Opticron fixed mag lenses will fit older Opticron scopes with or without adaptors. There's also a second hand market. Ask on the Opticron sub forum about compatibility with your scope if that interests you. I don't know where you are, but I would recommend taking your scope and tripod to a dealer with viewing facilities, or a "field day" at a reserve near you, and seeing what, if anything has changed using your own eyes and a side-by-side comparison. You may find the kit you have is perfect for what you need to do, which saves you money !

Some good advice from 4John there, I would suggest that if you're happy with the old Optolyth, you could try the Opticron HR2 eyepiece which is likely to fit and give you a bit more power, but you may need to insert a couple of O rings as spacers. Could be worth a punt for £57.

If your scope is standard glass (not HD/ED) I think you'd be surprised by how much scopes have improved in terms of optics, the best option would be to take it along to a local dealer and compare against newer models, and decide if the upgrade is worth it to you. My father still has his old Optolyth draw scope which he swears is better than my HD Swarovski - I wish I shared his opinion (it would've saved me a lot of money!), but if that is what he sees, then fair enough.

Hi, Thrupenny Bit,

In the days when I carried a Swarovski ATS 80 around on a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod with a B200 head (like yours ?) I used to keep the scope on the top of the tripod and carry the complete rig on my shoulder with legs and column extended. This means one less thing to carry (and slide off my shoulder !), but more importantly it means you can get on the bird a lot quicker. You might like to try that.

I don't think the weight of 80mm scopes, and the tripods and head you need to carry them, has changed much at all. IMO what has changed is the emergence of the lighter, smaller 60mm and 50mm "travel scopes", which I guess serves two markets ; those, like me, whose birding is perhaps more mobile, covers more ground, so weight is important, and/or who prefer much lighter kit, and those who, unlike me, do a lot of birding abroad (coinciding with an explosion in cheap air travel perhaps) and want to carry their scope in their hand luggage. But, as your current scope does what you want, and you are enjoying using it, I would stick with it.

The only change you might like to look at is a change of eyepiece. I think Opticron is on record as saying zoom eyepieces now outsell fixed magnfication eyepieces by a long way, so perhaps you might like to try one. There are those who prefer fixed mag eyepieces and those who prefer zooms - so it might be worth finding out which one you are ! For bird counting 20X fixed mag may be perfect. However, you might also like to try say a 30X fixed magnification eyepiece. Some of the current Opticron fixed mag lenses will fit older Opticron scopes with or without adaptors. There's also a second hand market. Ask on the Opticron sub forum about compatibility with your scope if that interests you. I don't know where you are, but I would recommend taking your scope and tripod to a dealer with viewing facilities, or a "field day" at a reserve near you, and seeing what, if anything has changed using your own eyes and a side-by-side comparison. You may find the kit you have is perfect for what you need to do, which saves you money !
Hi 4John,
Thanks for replying.
being nosy I've had a quick look at larger scopes on the web and as you say, I think the weight is similar to mine.
I'm not a 'travelling birder' at the moment, simply needing to do a job. As you say, I might as well stick with what I've got, I just need to learn how to use it and get used to it's quirks.

The tripod I use is rock solid, so that's good.
I think my quick release plate is... quick release!
Being an older model there is no option to lock the qr in place, and I wouldn't trust the quick release to hold the scope without locking it. I think carrying the scope attached isn't an option.
I hadn't thought about simply carrying the tripod over my shoulder though... that's a good and simple option in itself. Thanks!

I'm in Devon.
I bought my kit including original bins ( now upgraded to roof prisms ) at Focus Optics in Corley near Coventry, whilst visiting inlaws. Sadly the company has now ceased trading and I no longer need to travel to the Midlands for family commitments.
I must admit, I'd be very interesting in a 'field day' and see what the new breed of scopes are like and will keep my eyes open for an event in my area. Nothing like a browse!!

As you're in Devon, I'd suggest a trip to Paignton to SW Optics, as they have a good selection of scopes (they had some incredible deals on Meopta scopes before Christmas, sadly seem to be out of stock now). I'm sure they'd be happy to let you test against your existing set up.

Regarding the quick release, one option would be to use a cable tie or two to secure the plate to the head, or get a slightly newer head with a lock - you can't go too far wrong with a 128RC, here is a bargain used example.

Hope this helps!

I’ve got both zoom and a fixed wide angle. , eyepieces, both have advantages. I did one trip with just the medium power fixed eyepiece, didn’t even use my binos, never finding I needed more power, depends where you are and what’s about though.
I find around 30x makes a good step up from binos, higher powers risk dimmer and less sharp views.

In Focus do events round the place, see if they have one near you.

Peter

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for replying.
I wasn't aware I could swap eyepieces across brands, that might be worth a look.
Not sure where to go down here.
I previously managed to get to Focus Optics when up on family business but thyve gone. It was a great place to try kit...

Ah messages coming as I type!
I'd heard there was somewhere in Torbay... thanks for the heads-up.
I remember Infocus from ages ago, will keep an eye on their events.
Thanks for the comments.

You could also get a new tripod fluid head with a plate that has a safety catch so things can’t slide off onto disaster. I also always secure the quick release plate to my scopes with as many common screw holes as the scope and plate give me… !

Peter

As you're in Devon, I'd suggest a trip to Paignton to SW Optics, as they have a good selection of scopes (they had some incredible deals on Meopta scopes before Christmas, sadly seem to be out of stock now). I'm sure they'd be happy to let you test against your existing set up.

Regarding the quick release, one option would be to use a cable tie or two to secure the plate to the head, or get a slightly newer head with a lock - you can't go too far wrong with a 128RC, here is a bargain used example.

Hope this helps!
Hiya, just been looking at SW Optics website.
Are they always open?
It just implies you have to book an appointment...

Hi 4John,
Thanks for replying.
being nosy I've had a quick look at larger scopes on the web and as you say, I think the weight is similar to mine.
I'm not a 'travelling birder' at the moment, simply needing to do a job. As you say, I might as well stick with what I've got, I just need to learn how to use it and get used to it's quirks.

The tripod I use is rock solid, so that's good.
I think my quick release plate is... quick release!
Being an older model there is no option to lock the qr in place, and I wouldn't trust the quick release to hold the scope without locking it. I think carrying the scope attached isn't an option.
I hadn't thought about simply carrying the tripod over my shoulder though... that's a good and simple option in itself. Thanks!

I'm in Devon.
I bought my kit including original bins ( now upgraded to roof prisms ) at Focus Optics in Corley near Coventry, whilst visiting inlaws. Sadly the company has now ceased trading and I no longer need to travel to the Midlands for family commitments.
I must admit, I'd be very interesting in a 'field day' and see what the new breed of scopes are like and will keep my eyes open for an event in my area. Nothing like a browse!!
Thruppeney Bit,

I carried my Swarovski ATS 80 on a Manfrotto 200 head with the tripod resting on my shoulder and my left had holding one of the legs for years without a problem. I was simply copying other birders at the time - now 20 years ago. I have just dug out my Manfrotto 200 head with QR plate and reminded myself the 200 head is strong and well made and it takes a pretty firm push to rotate the release lever to release the plate so I don't think you have anything to worry about. I use a safety line on my Nikon ED 50, but only because the helicoil in the foot of the plastic bodied scope had a reputation for falling out ! It's not because I have no confidence in QR plates. My safety line is made of paracord and a Karabiner and goes from the D ring on the case of the scope to an O ring on the top of the monopod, but as Dwatsonbirder has already suggested, cable ties would do just as well.

In focus are at Dawlish Warren 3 March. Let your eyes decide ! 20X sound ideal for counting birds, but I would look at your eyepiece options, perhaps for when your are not counting the birds :). Opticron do eyepiece adapter rings so their newer eyepieces can fit their older scopes, but you need expert advice as to what fits or doesn't fit. There are workarounds including using O rings as Daniel has suggested. Ask the Opticron sub forum. Pete Gamby from Opticron contributes regularly there and is always helpful. I have a fixed 27X and a 20-45 zoom for my Nikon Ed50, but I find the zoom stays on the scope even though the 27X is a lovely lens and I don't count birds :). You might prefer one over the other, or like wllmspd you may prefer both. 30X was the standard mag for many people for normal everyday use.

Thruppeney Bit,

I carried my Swarovski ATS 80 on a Manfrotto 200 head with the tripod resting on my shoulder and my left had holding one of the legs for years without a problem. I was simply copying other birders at the time - now 20 years ago. I have just dug out my Manfrotto 200 head with QR plate and reminded myself the 200 head is strong and well made and it takes a pretty firm push to rotate the release lever to release the plate so I don't think you have anything to worry about. I use a safety line on my Nikon ED 50, but only because the helicoil in the foot of the plastic bodied scope had a reputation for falling out ! It's not because I have no confidence in QR plates. My safety line is made of paracord and a Karabiner and goes from the D ring on the case of the scope to an O ring on the top of the monopod, but as Dwatsonbirder has already suggested, cable ties would do just as well.

In focus are at Dawlish Warren 3 March. Let your eyes decide ! 20X sound ideal for counting birds, but I would look at your eyepiece options, perhaps for when your are not counting the birds :). Opticron do eyepiece adapter rings so their newer eyepieces can fit their older scopes, but you need expert advice as to what fits or doesn't fit. There are workarounds including using O rings as Daniel has suggested. Ask the Opticron sub forum. Pete Gamby from Opticron contributes regularly there and is always helpful. I have a fixed 27X and a 20-45 zoom for my Nikon Ed50, but I find the zoom stays on the scope even though the 27X is a lovely lens and I don't count birds :). You might prefer one over the other, or like wllmspd you may prefer both. 30X was the standard mag for many people for normal everyday use.

Hi,
Thank you for the reassurances.
It's good to get an opinion of the head, and that the qr is sound.
I have paracord and can 'invent' a clip safety line. I like adapting things.

I think that's the thing that I haven't really got sorted yet - how to carry the kit, plus bins to enable me to quickly set up and count an area then move on without collapsing everything, but this thread us certainly making ne think about it.

Thanks too for the tip about Dawlish Warren, I'll put it in my diary and have a good nose around.
As you say, let your eyes decide!

Will have a think about eyepieces too.
Some years ago I used to work jn a biology lab and microscope work was normal for me.
After a good while we updated the student (excellent quality) mics with new eyepieces from Nikon as the field of view and image was much improved.
That's food for thought.
Thanks again, much appreciated!

Hi,
Thank you for the reassurances.
It's good to get an opinion of the head, and that the qr is sound.
I have paracord and can 'invent' a clip safety line. I like adapting things.

I think that's the thing that I haven't really got sorted yet - how to carry the kit, plus bins to enable me to quickly set up and count an area then move on without collapsing everything, but this thread us certainly making ne think about it.

Thanks too for the tip about Dawlish Warren, I'll put it in my diary and have a good nose around.
As you say, let your eyes decide!

Will have a think about eyepieces too.
Some years ago I used to work jn a biology lab and microscope work was normal for me.
After a good while we updated the student (excellent quality) mics with new eyepieces from Nikon as the field of view and image was much improved.
That's food for thought.
Thanks again, much appreciated!
Thrupenney Bit,

There are probably as many tripod carrying techniques as there are birders. FWIW I carried my scope with the tripod column and legs extended and the scope attached to the head with the column resting on my left shoulder and one of the legs gripped in my left hand and my binoculars hanging round my neck. For the fastest response I lowered the tripod feet to the ground to upright the tripod, put my left arm around the column, grabbed the left and right sides of the binoculars with my hands and raised them to my eyes. This keeps the tripod and scope inside your elbow so it doesn't fall over. I do the same thing now I use a monopod. When you don't need a rapid response you can lower the tripod feet to the ground and spread the legs, then stand away and use your binoculars.

Based on my experience of Field Days, In Focus probably travel with a small van carrying only what they know from experience most people want to see most of the time. If fixed mag eyepieces are of interest to you it might be worth checking they carry any that are of interest to you and fit your scope. I am sure they would be pleased to put them in the van if they knew someone was interested in something they don't normally carry, as they take up relatively little space.

Thanks 4John,
It is good to get to know how people manage their kit.

From my trips so far, I don't need an immediate response, so can be casual about setting up.
I just need to make sure it all doesn't crash into one another or strangle me in the process!
I'm scanning using binoculars, see something I'm unsure about and then set up the scope to get a closer look.
Good point about keeping it within your elbow, I've also got fences and hedges I'v used so far to prop up the tripod if I want to rest my arms for a second whilst using bins.

I've just emailed In Focus to check out whether I need to register or simply turn up. I do remember their Field Days from 30 odd years ago, so have an idea what to expect.
My eyepiece is x20W but I understand eyepieces might well have improved over time. I think that might be worth checking out.
It'd be useful for me to see new kit and simply have a look around. Trouble is, 'simply looking around' can lead to expenses!!

Hello,

I have an Optolyth TBS 80 HDF (2nd gen fluorite version) equipped with an Opticron SDLv3 eyepiece.
I can confirm that the SDLv3 is optically 100% compatible with the Optolyth body, with an unobstructed field of view across the entire zoom range and perfect focus to infinity. However, it does require some adaptation, as the Optolyth body has a female thread that has to be converted to a male thread to allow the SDLv3's female thread to be inserted.
Regarding the quality and functionality of this combination, I find it quite interesting, even considering that the focal length of the body is only 420mm, which translates into a zoom range of 18-54x with the SDLv3 (coinciding with the eyepiece scale referring to the Opticron MM4). I find that the 30x Optolyth eyepiece, which I used before, is particularly bright and sharp and has a nice wide field of view. With the SDLv3, the field of view is smaller but still quite wide and without too much of a tunnel effect (the SDLv2 has a more pronounced tunnel effect and a smaller field of view). In any case, these Opticron eyepieces are light years away from the Optolyth 22-60x zoom eyepiece that I've also tried (I haven't tested the more recent 20-60x), and can be used to the maximum zoom of 54x even in low light (at least in this HDF version).
This scope became my preferred backup equipment, and I still enjoy using it immensely, even though it can't compete with my primary scope which is a Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD with the 30-60x wide eyepiece. But this is a different beast!
The SDLv3 adaptation I made involved using an inverter ring (I used this one: M37x0.75 male to M37x0.75 male thread adapter) to convert the Optolyth's female thread into a male one. I also used a step-down ring (I used this one: M40.5x0.5 male to M38x0.75 female thread adapter (step-down ring), flat, black) to ensure that the male thread size was compatible with the SDLv3's female thread.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get a step-down ring that was 100% compatible with the inverter ring (38mm vs 37mm), which meant I had to use a good duct tape to fill the difference in diameters.
I also needed an o-ring (Nitrile Rubber 37.5mm x 41.1mm x 1.8mm) which had to be pushed into the interior of the eyepiece to secure it and allow the zoom to rotate correctly. I remember that I had to roughen up the surface of the o-ring a little until I got the thickness just right to ensure optimum friction for the zoom. Finally, I added two large-diameter, thin o-rings to snug the eyepiece a little closer to the body, sealing the whole assembly a little more tightly
The end result is rock solid and the eyepiece never left its position. Some photos of the final result:

20240115_110058.jpg 20240115_110041.jpg

20240115_110012.jpg

I hope the information is somehow useful!

Best regards,
Jorge

Ícone Validada pela comunidade

Hello,

I have an Optolyth TBS 80 HDF (2nd gen fluorite version) equipped with an Opticron SDLv3 eyepiece.
I can confirm that the SDLv3 is optically 100% compatible with the Optolyth body, with an unobstructed field of view across the entire zoom range and perfect focus to infinity. However, it does require some adaptation, as the Optolyth body has a female thread that has to be converted to a male thread to allow the SDLv3's female thread to be inserted.
Regarding the quality and functionality of this combination, I find it quite interesting, even considering that the focal length of the body is only 420mm, which translates into a zoom range of 18-54x with the SDLv3 (coinciding with the eyepiece scale referring to the Opticron MM4). I find that the 30x Optolyth eyepiece, which I used before, is particularly bright and sharp and has a nice wide field of view. With the SDLv3, the field of view is smaller but still quite wide and without too much of a tunnel effect (the SDLv2 has a more pronounced tunnel effect and a smaller field of view). In any case, these Opticron eyepieces are light years away from the Optolyth 22-60x zoom eyepiece that I've also tried (I haven't tested the more recent 20-60x), and can be used to the maximum zoom of 54x even in low light (at least in this HDF version).
This scope became my preferred backup equipment, and I still enjoy using it immensely, even though it can't compete with my primary scope which is a Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD with the 30-60x wide eyepiece. But this is a different beast!
The SDLv3 adaptation I made involved using an inverter ring (I used this one: M37x0.75 male to M37x0.75 male thread adapter) to convert the Optolyth's female thread into a male one. I also used a step-down ring (I used this one: M40.5x0.5 male to M38x0.75 female thread adapter (step-down ring), flat, black) to ensure that the male thread size was compatible with the SDLv3's female thread.
Unfortunately, I couldn't get a step-down ring that was 100% compatible with the inverter ring (38mm vs 37mm), which meant I had to use a good duct tape to fill the difference in diameters.
I also needed an o-ring (Nitrile Rubber 37.5mm x 41.1mm x 1.8mm) which had to be pushed into the interior of the eyepiece to secure it and allow the zoom to rotate correctly. I remember that I had to roughen up the surface of the o-ring a little until I got the thickness just right to ensure optimum friction for the zoom. Finally, I added two large-diameter, thin o-rings to snug the eyepiece a little closer to the body, sealing the whole assembly a little more tightly
The end result is rock solid and the eyepiece never left its position. Some photos of the final result:

View attachment 1554142 View attachment 1554143

View attachment 1554144

I hope the information is somehow useful!

Best regards,
Jorge

View attachment 1554145
Thank you Jorge for taking the time to reply.
You've proved a new eyepiece is compatible with my telescope, that's good to know.
I now need to try and view some of these eyepieces and find out exactly how they offer improvement over my standard Optolyth one.
Many thanks
Q

Cheers!
When it comes to image quality alone, it's hard to compete with a good fixed eyepiece. I don't know about your 20x, but the 30x that fitted my Optolyth was extremely bright, sharp and had a wide field of view (slightly smaller than the field of view of the 30-60x meopta eyepiece @30x, which is one of the widest zooms). The only drawback was the eye relieve, which wasn't the best, and in that respect the SDLs are quite good, at least in my opinion.
It all comes down to how you use the scope, and whether the relative lower optics quality of a zoom eyepiece is compensated for by the greater versatility it offers. For me, this compromise is not only acceptable but absolutely crucial, because the vast majority of observations I make are at very long distances (mainly raptors survey).
If the ability to zoom is not decisive, such as in scenarios of relative proximity to targets, then a good fixed eyepiece may suffice. And may be more comfortable in terms of optical quality.
Here's, My Baader zoom arrived today, It's huge., a post about adapting a Baader Hyperion III zoom eyepiece to the body of an Optolyth TBS 80. It also looks like a good bet, but the SDLs have the advantage of being weather sealed.

Wishing you the best of luck on your quest and also awesome views through your Optolyth!
Best regards,
Jorge

I've just returned from a quick amble testing some new mitts in the cold wind and took along the 'scope and tripod.
I've only recently realised my vision outside has been a bit blurry and it is resolved by wearing my 'distance' glasses normally kept in the car for driving.
Using my Zeiss bins I've clicked down the eyepieces and can easily use the bins with my glasses on.
Using my telescope, it's not so easy, I have no option but to squint down or remove my specs, which isn't ideal.

Is this click down function on my binoculars known as 'eye relief'?
Irrespective of image brightness/size etc. as mentioned above, not being able to use the Optolyth's x20 eyepiece with glasses on is a nuisance.
Do newer eyepieces have this 'clickdown' function for glasses wearers?

Yes it’s eye relief. The Opticron eyepieces I have have rotating click up eye guards to help with this situation. I need some click up as I don’t wear glasses with a scope, you’d have to see if they provided enough for your glasses when clicked down.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back