• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading 600D to 7D (1 Viewer)

kneonlight

I have been using the 600D with the 400mm f5..6 prime lens. I am thinking of upgrading the 600D to the 7D but am not sure if it is worth it?
Does anyone have any idea of the sort of benefits I will get by upgrading and whether it would be worth it?
Thanks

Benefits outweigh drawbacks IMHO. You'll get (1) Better build quality (2) Twice as fast FPS (3) better weather resistance (4) Better AF controls (5) Better viewfinder (6) Much longer battery life (7) Compatibility with external GPS (8) ability to adjust ISO in 1/3 stop increments amongst others. You'll lose (1) articulating screen (2) smaller and lighter body (3) Digital zoom when recording movies. Note that the sensor and processor is the same for both bodies, so IQ-wise will be more or less the same. If you want a sort of hybrid between the two plus Wifi thrown in, get the 70D. Or wait until the anticipated 7D Mk 2 comes out next year.

Look at it this way:
The best pictures you can get out of the 600D are indistinguishable from the best pictures you can get out of the 7D.

The difference is that the 7D will get you to the best level much more often.

For example, if you're taking a picture of a bird flying, the 600D will take 4 pictures a second for one or two seconds. The 7D will take 8 a second for much much longer. Ergo, you'll be catching the wings flapping at more angles and you can choose the best.
If you're taking a picture of a bird hiding in the bushes, the 600D is MUCH more likely to focus on a branch instead of the bird.
If you want to change settings quickly, the 7D has many more options and buttons to enable quickly shifting settings.
This is besides issues of ergonomics which are personal, but most people (unless the physical weight is an issue) feel that the 7D's ergonomics are vastly superior.

The 600D is like a good automatic shift car. The 7D is a high performance vehicle. They'll both get you from point A to point B, but - if you invest in learning how - the 7D will give you a better, more enjoyable ride.

Robert

I'm sure you'll be happy :)

But... before you buy the 7D, check out the 70D too...

It is closer to the 7D than to the 600D and has better video auto-focus.
If you're buying this for birding, then the 7D is definitely the better choice, but since you're probably going to photograph other things, then you should check which one suits you better.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back