Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Buying Help

Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 13:31   #51
mpeace

Hi Brendan, great thread and really enjoying sharing in your binocular decision process and the great advice and views people are giving.

I think Chuck kind of had it right in that for function as a birdwatching tool the MHG makes absolute sense and does a very good job. It's good value, but certainly not cheap. You're getting high end quality binoculars with great wide FOV, bright optics and lightweight for a 42mm and stylish.

If you're a collector of binoculars (as well as a birder) and constantly on the look out for the very best then the SV 8x32 makes sense because you're always going to want to have the very best. The MHG is already so far ahead of most (all that I've tried) cheaper binoculars, that if you don't own a Zeiss SF or other Alpha bins you're not going to be missing anything with the MHG. I tried an 8x42 MHG when buying a used Zeiss SF 8x42 and on axis the MHG was sharper and similar to the SV 8.5x42 I also tried.

I went for the SF because of the big field of view that's sharp across the field I thought I could clean them up and improve the sharpness. I did, but still felt they weren't quite as sharp as I'd like and traded for a 8.5x42 SV FP, which are great, but a bit heavy for long walks. I think if I had just got the MHG 8x42 I'd have saved a lot of money and been very happy. I'm looking more at the 8x32 SV now as through this whole process I've slipped into the collector camp on the hunt for my absolute ideal general purpose bin......if you're not there, save your money and get the MHG. Good luck.
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 14:57   #52
[email protected]

There is no other binocular that is as sharp to the edge as the Swarovski SV's including the Zeiss SF, Nikon HG or even the Canon 10x42 IS-L which is the closest to the SV. If you want sharp edges and a flat field the SV is the best and If you don't like the size and weight of the SV 8.5x42 then the SV 8x32 is your binocular.
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 16:36   #53
dipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There is no other binocular that is as sharp to the edge as the Swarovski SV's including the Zeiss SF, Nikon HG or even the Canon 10x42 IS-L which is the closest to the SV. If you want sharp edges and a flat field the SV is the best and If you don't like the size and weight of the SV 8.5x42 then the SV 8x32 is your binocular.
You have read Henry Link's review of the Canon 10x32 IS "The distortion profile of the Canon demonstrates clearly that the “rolling ball” inducing mustache distortion used in the Swaro EL SVs (and the Zeiss SF) is totally unnecessary for correcting field curvature and astigmatism. Nearly perfect field flatness can be achieved with a distortion profile that should cause no panning disturbances for anybody."?
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 19:51   #54
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipped View Post
You have read Henry Link's review of the Canon 10x32 IS "The distortion profile of the Canon demonstrates clearly that the “rolling ball” inducing mustache distortion used in the Swaro EL SVs (and the Zeiss SF) is totally unnecessary for correcting field curvature and astigmatism. Nearly perfect field flatness can be achieved with a distortion profile that should cause no panning disturbances for anybody."?
The Canon 10x42 IS-L does not have as flat of field as the SV's nor is it as sharp at the edge. I think if Swarovski could have designed the SV's with perfect field flatness and a distortion profile that caused no panning disturbances they would have. There is just always trade offs in optical design.
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 21:51   #55
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

To me Nikon still is the king of the flat field optics, unfortunately besides the WX, the EDG - now archived , most of their current efforts of high end optics are into camera lens. ( I am still glad they at least make the Monarch Hg series, a very good value and view.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 22:43   #56
dipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Canon 10x42 IS-L does not have as flat of field as the SV's nor is it as sharp at the edge. I think if Swarovski could have designed the SV's with perfect field flatness and a distortion profile that caused no panning disturbances they would have. There is just always trade offs in optical design.
But Henry tested the Canon 10x32 not the 10x42 which is what you are referring to.

It looks like it is possible to have an optical design without the trade offs you mention as witnessed by Henry's report. (If you read his review there are other optical "weaknesses" in the Canon).
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 23:19   #57
[email protected]

I had the Canon 10x32 also. Not near as flat field or as sharp at the edge as the SV's. IMO the Canon 10x32 was not nearly as good as the Canon 10x42 IS-L with it's better L glass. In fact I returned my Canon 10x32's very quickly. The Canon 10x30 IS are even better than the Canon 10x32 IMO. I really think that is why the Canon 10x32's are being discounted by 50% off. They started at $1349.95 and now they are down to $649.95. That was the only reason I tried them.

Last edited by [email protected] : Sunday 7th July 2019 at 23:31.
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 23:29   #58
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
To me Nikon still is the king of the flat field optics, unfortunately besides the WX, the EDG - now archived , most of their current efforts of high end optics are into camera lens. ( I am still glad they at least make the Monarch Hg series, a very good value and view.

Andy W.
I have not tried the WX's but the EDG's are not as flat field nor do they have as sharp of edges as the SV's. The SV's are the extreme when it comes to flat field and sharp edges.
Old Sunday 7th July 2019, 23:41   #59
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

But panning with the EDG is sublime and to me a more realistic view, not to mention great glare control. For my type of viewing during the day I prefer the EDG in 8 and 10X42, just my opinion.
Now when I use glass on the night sky, the SLC 10X56 or 15X56 and the SV12X50 are first choice. I tend to prefer the SVs in the larger format.

Andy W,

Last edited by dries1 : Sunday 7th July 2019 at 23:49.

Old Monday 8th July 2019, 00:13   #60
GAL1LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeace View Post
Hi Brendan, great thread and really enjoying sharing in your binocular decision process and the great advice and views people are giving.

I think Chuck kind of had it right in that for function as a birdwatching tool the MHG makes absolute sense and does a very good job. It's good value, but certainly not cheap. You're getting high end quality binoculars with great wide FOV, bright optics and lightweight for a 42mm and stylish.

If you're a collector of binoculars (as well as a birder) and constantly on the look out for the very best then the SV 8x32 makes sense because you're always going to want to have the very best. The MHG is already so far ahead of most (all that I've tried) cheaper binoculars, that if you don't own a Zeiss SF or other Alpha bins you're not going to be missing anything with the MHG. I tried an 8x42 MHG when buying a used Zeiss SF 8x42 and on axis the MHG was sharper and similar to the SV 8.5x42 I also tried.

I went for the SF because of the big field of view that's sharp across the field I thought I could clean them up and improve the sharpness. I did, but still felt they weren't quite as sharp as I'd like and traded for a 8.5x42 SV FP, which are great, but a bit heavy for long walks. I think if I had just got the MHG 8x42 I'd have saved a lot of money and been very happy. I'm looking more at the 8x32 SV now as through this whole process I've slipped into the collector camp on the hunt for my absolute ideal general purpose bin......if you're not there, save your money and get the MHG. Good luck.
Thanks mpeace, It has opened up alot of extra conversation which I hope will help someone else in my position.

I think I will end up with MHG, purely for a price point.
$2600 is alot.... damn, even $1500 for the MHG is alot, but I can justify the $1500 alot easier.

I have no doubt the SV is sharper, better etc etc but if seasoned users like the ones in here think the MHG is top notch then I think that's good enough for me, irrespective of the valid "my eyes, my hand" advice.

In the 90s as a kid I was always at pops watching birds etc. Life and sport took me away from these sorts of hobbies and now I am just getting back into it.
Maybe down the track I will look at the SV range but for now the MHG might be my go to. It seems its not a bad place to be for a bloke just getting back into it.

Cheers
Brendan
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 00:30   #61
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Mhg

I do not think you will be disappointed with the Monarch HG, let us know what your observations are.

Andy W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2379.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	699256  

Old Monday 8th July 2019, 13:05   #62
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

I think the Monarch HG 8X42 will be a great choice for you. My prediction is you are going to like it a LOT.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 8th July 2019, 16:51   #63
marcsantacurz

B&H has a used "Condition 9" pair of HG 10x42 for US$798. They do ship internationally.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...binocular.html

Marc
Old Monday 8th July 2019, 17:55   #64
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

I find B&H prices on used or demos on the high side, and does it have the Warranty?

Andy W.

Old Monday 8th July 2019, 22:41   #65
marcsantacurz

Quote:
I find B&H prices on used or demos on the high side, and does it have the Warranty?

Andy W.
Yes, B&H is a little pricey on used, Adorama is often better. But you can trust their condition ratings (and Adorama's). All used is 30-day no-questions return (same condition, etc.) and 90-day parts & labor warranty. At least, that's my understanding.

The only other options are the current auction (ends in 1 day, at $355 now, but that doesn't mean much) and new imports for about $890 from Japan. As this is for an Aussie purchaser, I don't think the import distinction is important. And with shipping, the cost of shipping (much less exercising the B&H warranty) might make it non-competitive with the $890 news.

Marc
Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 15:14   #66
pavan_n

Quote:

Andy W.
What does a new warranty look like in Australia? International warranty is 10 years on manufacturing issues.
I am on the lookout for a new set and considered that used one at B&H, but it would mean giving up the excellent (though non transferable) warranty in North America. So may hold off till I can get a new copy for a good price. The MHG looks to be a compelling option. Great value and quality from all the reviews and opinions so far. Most likely, I'll be getting the same set as you've decided to get a Monarch HG but in 10x42.

Last edited by pavan_n : Tuesday 9th July 2019 at 15:18.
Old Tuesday 9th July 2019, 15:33   #67
marcsantacurz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_n View Post
What does a new warranty look like in Australia? International warranty is 10 years on manufacturing issues.
I am on the lookout for a new set and considered that used one at B&H, but it would mean giving up the excellent (though non transferable) warranty in North America. So may hold off till I can get a new copy for a good price. The MHG looks to be a compelling option. Great value and quality from all the reviews and opinions so far. Most likely, I'll be getting the same set as you've decided to get a Monarch HG but in 10x42.
Thelimited lifetime warranty only applies to the original purchaser and is not transferable. So the best you could do is find a open box deal from a reseller that will include all the warranty information (like B&H, Adorama, etc.). Any used will not be covered.

I believe they will repair anything, just with a cost. You should email their optics support for the details.

In regards to the International warranty, I know for camera lenses that only applies in the US if you purchased the foreign lens _in_person_ while visiting a foreign country and from an authorized Nikon dealer in that country. It does not cover gray market imports that are shipped into the US. So, when I go to Japan, I'll buy a Nikon lens cheaper (assuming my company is paying the travel costs!), but if I buy one on-line Nikon USA will not service it. Maybe sports optics are different. You can send nikon optics service a request and they can spell it out for you. That is what I did for Nikon lenses.

Marc
Old Monday 5th August 2019, 03:45   #68
GAL1LEO

So after a decent tax return and the Australian Government handing out a bit of "free" money I decided to buy the Swaro 8x32s.
Haven't got them yet but I will let you know my thoughts when I do.
:)
Brendan

Last edited by GAL1LEO : Monday 5th August 2019 at 09:56.
Old Monday 5th August 2019, 04:37   #69
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL1LEO View Post
So after a decent tax return and the Australian Government handing out a a bit of "free" money I decided to buy the Swaro 8x32s.
Brendan
That's a great choice!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 5th August 2019, 05:29   #70
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL1LEO View Post
So after a decent tax return and the Australian Government handing out a a bit of "free" money I decided to buy the Swaro 8x32s.
Brendan
2nd that!. The SV 8x32 is my favorite Swaro roof.
Old Saturday 10th August 2019, 01:33   #71
GAL1LEO

So they arrived. I have had a play but not in the field yet.
All I can say is wow wow wow. They are incredible

I am not a binocular tech talker so this will be pretty basic and while its not a binocular vs a binocular post I can only compare against a $200 AUD pair of Bushnell Trophy 10x42 that I have.

What I like:
The Swaros are super bright.
The image is pin sharp
FOV is fantastic.
The eye cups have a few positions.
The diopter has alot more positions than I am used too.
The strap is quality as are its attachments to the body
The case is quality
The covers, particularly the objective lens. They actually stay on (Bushnells are terrible)
Image is sharp to the edge. Bushnells have only about 60% but still not as sharp in the middle. I could read a shop sign from 500m easier with the 8x than the 10x.
CA is non existent to me.
Close focus is great. I had a flower that I got more detail out of and stood out against the background better.
The thumb grooves at the back are spot on for me.
They cradle in my hands perfectly. I did think they may be too small but nope.
The weight is about 180g less than the Bushnells

Dislike:
Honestly none

I expected them to be better than what I had and damn they should be for the price so I had high expectations. I wasn't let down.

Its not fair to say the Bushnells are rubbish and as I mentioned before its not a A vs B post. They are manufactured for a certain price point. They aren't as far behind as I thought they would be so I would be lying to say the Swaros are 12x as good as the Bushnell.

What you get for your money are the "little extras" that make the experience really good.

If you are in the same position as I was on post #1 I hope this thread will help.
If can afford them, get them as you won't be let down.

Now to find some birds.

Cheers
Brendan

Last edited by GAL1LEO : Saturday 10th August 2019 at 07:52.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: