• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Entry - Midrange Binocular Recommendation ($500) (2 Viewers)

And as far as chinese glass, I will defer to my European and Japenese glass. I have no need or want anything optic related from them, enjoy.
I feel the same way for a number of reasons , one of them being perceived build quality , fit and finish . My main binocular will never be MIC . I do have a MIC Papilio though , that binocular is inexpensive and loads of fun . My 15x70 is MIC (Kunming BA8) and I almost replaced it with a Nikon Astroluxe . The Astroluxe didn't have enough eye relief for my glasses so I kept the BA8, "shrugs" .
I've had many made in Japan bins such as the Nikon SE's 8x32 and 10x42 , both the E2's , a made in Japan Celestron Ultima 7x50(pebble skin) , the Bushnel Elite Custom Compact and a few others . The made in Japan bins and a few European bins always gave me the impression of better build fit and finish AND they seem to feel better in my hands .

Last edited:
I would go for used high end bins for 500$ budget. My first good bino was at that price and I ended up upgrading within a year. You seem to notice small flaws easily and they irritate you. Welcome to the club. You probably will not be happy with anything available new for 500$. But a few years old bino from 800-1200$ class will still be just as good when new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back