• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cameras that Retain Autofocus with Teleconverters (1 Viewer)

The Canon 70D's live view AF is very quick using a 400 f5.6 with 1.4x tc but you just don't have the AF point accuracy of the standard AF. Not saying it doesn't work but it is not as clearcut.

Also worth pointing out that the firmware has changed since it was released. My original body, that I unfortunately destroyed, would still AF in live view when using the magnification feature and, when recording video, it would AF when using the digital zoom albeit at a much slower speed. The replacement body purchased nearly 11 months later does not have either of these capabilities which is very disappointing as I found both useful features. Going to have another go at getting this to work as I really miss them

Edit: just checked the manual I have had since the camera came out and the digital zoom af is described on page 267. Will have to check my camera and then try contacting Canon

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information guys, at the moment I'm looking to upgrade my camera body from a 40d and am stuck between either a 1ds mark ii or a 5d mark ii, being able to use autofocus with a teleconverter is pushing it in favour of the 1 series body at the moment, as I've also heard bad things about the autofocus on the 5d2.

Out of curiousity, only maximum aperture matters, as the lens doesn't actually stop down until the shutter is engaged?
Yep, that's right although I would have thought most people would have know that Kyle but its worth pointing out I guess :t:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the information guys, at the moment I'm looking to upgrade my camera body from a 40d and am stuck between either a 1ds mark ii or a 5d mark ii, being able to use autofocus with a teleconverter is pushing it in favour of the 1 series body at the moment, as I've also heard bad things about the autofocus on the 5d2.
The AF on the 5D2 is certainly not recommended for action photography Matt, this Camera along with the 5D1 are used mainly for landscape/still life stuff. The 5D3 is a different altogether with respect to the AF and makes a superb action Camera providing you are not reach limited.

The Canon 70D's live view AF is very quick using a 400 f5.6 with 1.4x tc but you just don't have the AF point accuracy of the standard AF. Not saying it doesn't work but it is not as clearcut.
It seems different altogether than the 7D then Paul. I used to use the 7D at f8 or more a lot in live view AF and although AF was very slow compared the normal phase AF it was very accurate, probably more so that normal AF providing you had some contrast of course.
When using live view AF on the 7D, apart from the AF speed I always found that I had to use a tripod to be best able to view the LCD which was a bit of a bind at times. I found that Live view AF speed on the 7D could be reasonable provided you roughly manually focused first.

Will a canon mk 111 auto focus with a converter on a sigma 500 4.5
That's a good question 'Elvis' theoretically it should but I have read mixed reports on this.
I was wondering a similar thing with the Tammy 150-600 + 5D3, As the Cameras AF system is only seeing f5.6 with the bare lens then adding a 1.4x tc should mean that it is only seeing f8. Trouble is I have only got a Canon 1.4x tc so cannot try it out.
EDIT: I see Peter has answered your query :t:

Roy, I have only lowered my opinion since getting the new 70D body. With my original body I could zoom in on live view and AF on a bird's eye. The replacement body doesn't allow AF once zoomed in, MF only which is a shame - gonna get the camera out and see if I am doing something wrong

Ignore everything I said, I am in actual fact a complete Berk - I have set the camera to AF on back button and I have been trying to use the shutter release button instead. Not just once, but again and again! I cannot think of a sufficiently apt description for my stupidity but suffice it to say that the AF works very well indeed.

What a Muppet 3:)

Ignore everything I said, I am in actual fact a complete Berk - I have set the camera to AF on back button and I have been trying to use the shutter release button instead. Not just once, but again and again! I cannot think of a sufficiently apt description for my stupidity but suffice it to say that the AF works very well indeed.

What a Muppet 3:)
Don't worry about it We have all been there Paul B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back