• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS RP with EF 100-400mm lens (3 Viewers)

Arbu

I struggled a bit with my camera (specifications as above) on a recent trip to Vietnam. The camera seems so slow to focus that I'm missing a lot of shots because the birds have moved on by the time I can take the photo. The smallest autofocussing setting seems a bit big too, compared to on previous Canon cameras I have had - more of a square than a spot.

Is it the case that, because the RP is a relatively small body, and presumably has a smaller battery, it will inevitably struggle with autofocussing such a large lens? Should I give up with autofocus in forest settings, and just use manual focus? And should I use the 1.4* extender that I have? I've always been sceptical about using this, feeling that it has an effect no better than enlarging the photo on my computer. But perhaps not? And finally, the camera has a tendency to move the autofocussing point away from the centre of the screen. I think that this is a touch sensitive feature, but it's really annoying. Can I turn it off?

Thanks

Attachments

• Collared Owlet.jpg
    Collared Owlet.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
I don't know if your screen can be turned around, but I never have the screen showing as this exact thing (focus point changing because I touch the screen with e.g. my nose or finger) very annoying.

WRT the focusing, I can only say that focusing is slower in low light conditions, and it will be even slower if e.g. overexposing.

I've not used an RP, but on my Canon mirrorless bodies you can turn off the touch focus on the rear screen in the Autofocus section under 'Touch and Drag AF settings'

I found when using the EOS RP , the adapter and an EF 100mm macro that the focus point would often move off centre (bottom left quite often) even though I had set the touch screen off. As I don't do movies I programmed the Red movie button to set Centre Focus Point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back