• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Birds Nest - Need Advise (1 Viewer)

XoioX2000

Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of advise: I noticed a pair of black birds (male black, female brown) coming in and out a gap by our garage door.

I thought the gap would provide access to the inside of the garage and I was thinking I needed to cover whatever might be under the nest (hence I was trying to find where the nest was).

But this wall is actually a cavity wall with a gap at the height of where the roller is: it does not provide access to the inside of a garage.

Unfortunately, the birds have made a nest somewhere near the eave of the roof, inside the wall (I think, as I cannot see it) which in itself, is not a problem but my concern is when the babies will try to leave the nest, they will drop at the bottom of the cavity wall and will never be able to get out as the only gap is at a 6 foot height.

As anybody come across this before? How can I prevent for the babies to drop at the bottom of that cavity wall and die there? Or am I worrying for nothing and they will be able to get out whatever happens?

I am thinking about putting a plank across to stop them from dropping to the bottom (assuming I can be sure where the nest is - obviously dont want to block access to the nest)

Thanks for your advise,

David

It does not sound as if it would be easy for you to do anything without the risk of you disturbing the nest and the birds. You don't want the adult birds to abandon the nest. There are so many dangers and threats to nestlings all the time, but in this case hopefully, the parents will lead them out and they will be drawn towards the outside light.

Years ago I was in the same dilemma with a black bird's nest build in one of my stacks of firewood. They had build the nest just knee-high between the 20 inch long logs just at the front site where there was a little more space between the logs.

To avoid that one of our cats would be attracted by the business around the nest I placed some longer logs standing up around the nesting areaand this way I made a kind of shelter that looked like the poles of a tent but without the tarpaulin.

The blackbirds kept on breeding and feeding and the hatchlings left the nest alive.

Thanks for the replies. I agree about not disturbing the nest and making it worse before the start.

I'll try to see if I can I can listen for where the nest is exactly before anything else.

When shall I expect youngs for these blackirds do you reckon?

Cheers,

David

The eggs take 13 to 14 days to hatch. The birds leave the nest 13 to 14 days later, but can leave and survive as early as nine days old if the nest is disturbed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back