• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving access to a bird's nest (not moving the nest) (1 Viewer)

Mivey

Canada
Will a robin be able to find it's nest if the access to the nest has moved? I have a robin that has set up a nest under my deck, however I am having lattice put on today. There will be a door to access under the deck but in a different location to where she is currently going in and out of. The door will be a few feet away from her nest, are they smart enough to figure out there is access at a different location?

Where in the world are you? If you are in the UK then knowingly disturbing breeding birds without a permit to do so is an offence. I believe the same is true in the USA.

I would delay your planned works until after the birds have fledged or if that is impossible then apply for a permit from Natural England/NatureScot/NRW.

I am in Canada. Unfortunately, I cannot delay as my contractor has other jobs he needs to move onto. The robin will still have access to her nest, it will just be through a different side of the deck that she is currently using. I'm just wondering, are robins smart enough to figure that out? The new access will be a few feet away from the access she is currently using.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I imagine the works being carried out will disturb the robin and the nest anyway. If she is used to an access to her nest, then I doubt she will be able to find a different way in. It doesn't bode well.

I am pretty sure that Canada has the same laws protecting wild birds as the UK and USA - it is prohibited to damage, destroy, disturb or remove migratory bird nests when they contain a live bird according to google.

Yes, I'm afraid that changing the access route will be classed as "interfering". And I believe that as the American Robin is a migratory bird it is a protected species. When did the eggs hatch? I may be that they could be about ready to fledge.

Life can be difficult sometimes.

Hi Mivey and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Will a robin be able to find it's nest if the access to the nest has moved? I have a robin that has set up a nest under my deck, however I am having lattice put on today. There will be a door to access under the deck but in a different location to where she is currently going in and out of. The door will be a few feet away from her nest, are they smart enough to figure out there is access at a different location?
The answer would seem to be irrelevant as you are set on doing the work anyway.

It does seem that you are not here to ask for any actual advice, but rather (you hope) to have your conscience cleared about a course of action to which you are already firmly committed.

It does seem that you are not here to ask for any actual advice, but rather (you hope) to have your conscience cleared about a course of action to which you are already firmly committed.

This is a bit harsh, but I agree. Please could you delay this just a little while? Have you installed it yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back