• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Savannah GA (1 Viewer)

TwoDipsfromAmsterdam

Anything About?
This is probably the worst vacation report ever but reviews a week in May in Savannah without transport or binoculars.

It was our daughter's graduation from the Savannah College of Art & Design so everything was geared around that. I decided that as this was primarily a family event with some local transportation being provided by friends and relations no car hire was necessary. A check on birding sites around Savannah suggested that the coast, especially places such as Tybee Island, were the places to go. They required cars so I decided to "ignore" the birds.

Whatta mistaka da make-a (UK readers might appreciate that from the BBC TV comedy "'Allo 'Allo" back in the 80s).

I guess I realised I'd cocked up big time before I'd even arrived when the 'plane was taxiing in at Savannah Airport and a Killdeer (a lifer) looked up and laughed at me. Next day I walked down to the Savannah River and they all started laughing big time. This was no bird country - a very deep and commercial river - but within minutes (and without binoculars) there was Royal Tern, Least Tern, Brown Pelican and, as you would expect, Laughing Gull. Over the next couple of days I clocked up Eastern Kingbird, House Finch, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Chimney Swift, Brown Thrasher, Scarlet Tanager, Red-winged Hawk (hardly a surprise), Northen Mockingbird, Red-bellied Woodpecker, plus Amercian Robin and a few other expected species. A trip across to Hutchison Island was the highlight - the ferry is free (my God - is the US going Communist?) and that turned up Great Blue Heron, Nothern Cardinal and Green Heron plus a pair of Alligators - absolutely brilliant for a Euro birder.

Oh to go back with transportation and binoculars/telescope.o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back