• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A week in the north-east of Italy (Lammergeier galore) (3 Viewers)

To see the Lammers like that would be epic! Also still need Snowfinch (well, at least better views).

Great report!
Thanks Nick! Yes the Lammers were really something; as for Snowfinch... they were nesting in some of the building there, so easily seen and pretty tame, too - but I think the best views we had were in the Gran Sasso NP 3 years ago. Or just visit a ski resort on the Alps in winter!

Thanks Nick! Yes the Lammers were really something; as for Snowfinch... they were nesting in some of the building there, so easily seen and pretty tame, too - but I think the best views we had were in the Gran Sasso NP 3 years ago. Or just visit a ski resort on the Alps in winter!

Reports like this are what makes this forum so damn good!

I know I want mollycoddling, but have you got a reference point from where you watched the Lammers? The road looks to have few parking points.

Last edited:
We were right at the top, if you zoom in on Google Maps, you will see a pin called "birdwatching point", which seems to be on the rocks somewhere, but we were in the car park below the Tibet restaurant. See attached screenshots. If you do go, drop me a PM and I will send more details for Snowfinch and other stuff!

Attachments

• Schermata 2023-07-07 alle 07.36.40.jpg
    Schermata 2023-07-07 alle 07.36.40.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Schermata 2023-07-07 alle 07.35.59.jpg
    Schermata 2023-07-07 alle 07.35.59.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 20
We were right at the top, if you zoom in on Google Maps, you will see a pin called "birdwatching point", which seems to be on the rocks somewhere, but we were in the car park below the Tibet restaurant. See attached screenshots. If you do go, drop me a PM and I will send more details for Snowfinch and other stuff!
Will be next summer now, but thank you very much!

Stunning scenery and lots of great alpine birds.

The second Lammergeier shot especially is terrific - the hairpins below giving a great sense of looking down.

Cheers
Mike

Please may I ask: are these Bearded Vultures in Italy naturally-occurring or are they part of some re-introduction project?
Thank you. They were naturally occurring until around the beginning of the last century - the last individuals were seen around 1910 in the western Alps, with random sightings later on in the century. The reintroduction efforts started in the early 1990s and the first successful breeding attempt was in 1996. The effort has been very successful with several breeding pairs now established in the Italian Alps.

Thank you. They were naturally occurring until around the beginning of the last century - the last individuals were seen around 1910 in the western Alps, with random sightings later on in the century. The reintroduction efforts started in the early 1990s and the first successful breeding attempt was in 1996. The effort has been very successful with several breeding pairs now established in the Italian Alps.
Thank you so much for this information I wonder if the birds are all ringed?

Thank you so much for this information I wonder if the birds are all ringed?
To be honest, I don't know. The individuals we saw, and the ones we saw elsewhere two years ago weren't ringed. I think that most nest cavities are probably out of reach even for professional climbers, but it may also be for other reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back