• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID from SE Michigan, USA (1 Viewer)

zerb21

Bruce Moorman
I saw this gull at North Bay Park in Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA on November 26, 2014. Thank you in advance for helping identify it.

Attachments

• 2014_11_26_NBPark_05.jpg
    2014_11_26_NBPark_05.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 2014_11_26_NBPark_17.jpg
    2014_11_26_NBPark_17.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 2014_11_26_NBPark_18.jpg
    2014_11_26_NBPark_18.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 125
looks like a vagrant slaty-backed gull. an open wing view (with the "string of pearls" visible) should reinforce this ID. as far as i know slaty-backed is a regular but of course rare guest (from NE asia) on lake michigan.

Thanks for the help identifying this bird. Here are some more photos of it.

Attachments

• 2014_11_26_NBPark_09.jpg
    2014_11_26_NBPark_09.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 2014_11_26_NBPark_11.jpg
    2014_11_26_NBPark_11.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 2014_11_26_NBPark_12.jpg
    2014_11_26_NBPark_12.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 75
The spread wing photos posted should cinch this as a Slaty-backed Gull. This is a real good bird on the Great Lakes (and anywhere outside western Alaska in North America). You should report this to local list-serves/RBAs, as there are plenty of birders who would like to see it.

Andy

No gull expert here by any means ... curious how the wing cinches it as a Slaty-backed? My first thought was Lesser Black-backed gull.

steve, it's the mentioned "string of pearls" typical for SBG, which this gull definitely is. congrats to the rare find.
look at the pale 'moons' on primaries 5-8 forming a row basal to the black subterminal marks.

Attachments

• 2014_11_26_NBPark_11 - Kopie.jpg
    2014_11_26_NBPark_11 - Kopie.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 89
No gull expert here by any means ... curious how the wing cinches it as a Slaty-backed? My first thought was Lesser Black-backed gull.

Lesser Black-backed Gull has extensive black wingtips with limited white spotting. Slaty-backed Gull has limited black on the wingtips with a row of sub-terminal white spots. This is quite evident on the middle picture of the second group.

Mike

Away on business for a bit and just back .. glad I refound this thread. Thanks for the explanation guys comparing this bird, to LBB gull! Very good info to know.

steve, it's the mentioned "string of pearls" typical for SBG, which this gull definitely is. congrats to the rare find.
look at the pale 'moons' on primaries 5-8 forming a row basal to the black subterminal marks.

Unless of course it had turned up in Britain where you would probably need DNA from its parents to get it accepted as a Slaty-backed Gullo:D

Cheers

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back