• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (56 Viewers)

Does anyone know how well this Sibe stonechat at Flamborough is showing? It seems to be on the News mostly in the mornings. Is that because it only shows then?

Siberian Stonechat still present here at Flam today. In the gorse bushes along the permissive path, South of Head Farm, Near the Lighthouse. Showing well this evening too

Will be visiting in a couple of weeks time staying at Sherburn for the weekend, where do people recommend for a decent days birding? Done a bit of googling and Filey or Scarborough seem good bets, anywhere else? places to park and eat welcome too I've never been to the area before!

Thanks in advance

Will be visiting in a couple of weeks time staying at Sherburn for the weekend, where do people recommend for a decent days birding? Done a bit of googling and Filey or Scarborough seem good bets, anywhere else? places to park and eat welcome too I've never been to the area before!

Thanks in advance

Filey's probably a good bet in November, always chance auks, divers, grebes, seaducks, etc. Parking is at the Country Park, but be aware the walk down to the Brigg from there is really not too advisable... ;) The sea's scope-able from the cliff tops.

Agree with Pete, Filey should turn up the goods. Think by November the cafe in the Country Park will have closed for the winter but the road opposite it is the best way to get to the beach, good tarmac so safe walking, even if steep in places. The 'path' down to the beach from the top end of the Country Park is - as Pete says - not too advisable as it is subject to being murderous. There is also the Filey Dams reserve which is set back a little way from the sea, best approached via the Muston Road, look for a side road called Wharfedale and follow this round to the left and you will reach the car parking area for the reserve. Nice bit of freshwater wetland with a couple of hides.

Thanks. Found the Filey bird obs blog, where are Carr Naze and the gap,are they in/near the country park? Is parking free?

Carr Naze is the exposed narrow cliff top area at the base of the Brigg back to the car park. The Gap is Hunmanby Gap on the south side of Filey bay.

Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to the weekend, if you see a young (ish!) couple looking a bit lost in the Filey area on Saturday please feel free to take pity on us and point us in the right direction lol!

New but Old Kids on the Block!

Hello, Just in the process of relocating to Bempton! We are renting a holiday cottage in Bempton until the exchange of contracts for our "rest of our lives" home in the village. It will be nice to meet up with local birders in the area to share information etc. We know the area quite well but not necessarily areas outside of the "honey pots"! We hope to attend the East Riding RSPB Group meeting in November to meet fellow birders. We are competent birders but by no means founts of all birding knowledge. If you want to check me out, follow the links below! Looking forward to some great Yorkshire birding, dialogue and fellowship!

www.kevingroocock.zenfolio.com

www.rugbybirder.blogspot.co.uk

Last edited:
Hello! New to the forum and trying to find out whether larks sing all year round... I'm a writer based in the Dales and need to know if my depiction of an October trilling lark above the fells is feasible! So I thought I'd ask the Yorkshire birding experts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back