• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skye (1 Viewer)

Mike Crawley

Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club
England
Hi chaps and chapesses,

I have a colleague who is off to Skye next week.
As the company expert (ho-ho) on all things ornithological she has asked my advice on seeing White-tailed Eagle.
I haven't been in ages and can't really help.
Any recommendations about boat trips - which one; how much - to take.
Also other "wildlife" activities (otter; deer; etc, etc.)

Many thanks

Mike
|8)|

Hi Mike

I'm off to Skye at the weekend too:-O

This site might prove useful. I'm not going to have time for the boat trips there I don't think, so haven't really researched them yet

D

Hi Mike

Unless Argyll's empire building is getting out of control.( first Bute, tomorrow the world!)........... Skye is part of 'Highland'!

Last edited:
I just got back from Skye. I didn't see any eagles, but I didn't take any boat trips either. The weather was not really supportive of doing so. That said there are several companies offering boat trips. I got the impression they don't have scheduled trips going this early in the season, but if there's enough demand, they'll go.

I had a more mundane target while there - twite - which I eventually saw well, and was more in the general tourist mode by that point of my visit.

Other birds of note I saw on Skye:

- Black guillemots in Portree harbor
- Lots of ringed plover and dunlin in Broadford Bay
- Gannets off of Neist Point (along with twite on land)
- Wheatears common in the upland moors.
- Fulmars nesting at Kilt Rock
- Sedge warblers near Waterloo / Harrapool

No sign of corn crakes yet (edit: the Skye-birds website just listed them yesterday as FOS).

Last edited:
I just got back from Skye. I didn't see any eagles, but I didn't take any boat trips either. The weather was not really supportive of doing so. That said there are several companies offering boat trips. I got the impression they don't have scheduled trips going this early in the season, but if there's enough demand, they'll go.

I had a more mundane target while there - twite - which I eventually saw well, and was more in the general tourist mode by that point of my visit.

Other birds of note I saw on Skye:

- Black guillemots in Portree harbor
- Lots of ringed plover and dunlin in Broadford Bay
- Gannets off of Neigs Point (along with twite on land)
- Wheatears common in the upland moors.
- Fulmars nesting at Kilt Rock
- Sedge warblers near Waterloo / Harrapool

No sign of corn crakes yet (edit: the Skye-birds website just listed them yesterday as FOS).

Thanks for that Jeff

Could you point me in the direction of Neigs Point please - don't seem to be able to find it on the map

D

My mistake - it's Neist Point, not Neigs Point. That's what I get for trusting my memory. Senior moments, indeed.

Original post corrected.

My mistake - it's Neist Point, not Neigs Point. That's what I get for trusting my memory. Senior moments, indeed.

Original post corrected.

Thanks Jeff LOL .. funnily enough I nearly wrote 'Neist' in my post having come across it in my searchings.

I wouldn't mind trying to find some Twite this year, not seen any for ages

D

Delia - the Neist Point that Jeff refered to seesms to be a fairly major cetacean watching site. Last time we were in Skye a couple of years a go we met a few people there specifically for that and they had stayed on longer then intended because sightings were really good. I can't remember the date now but it was certainly later in the year - probably August - and don't know what might be about at this time of year. We had lots of views on Minke and one spectacular view of an Orca breeching just metres off-shore.

cheers
Gordon

Delia - the Neist Point that Jeff refered to seesms to be a fairly major cetacean watching site. Last time we were in Skye a couple of years a go we met a few people there specifically for that and they had stayed on longer then intended because sightings were really good. I can't remember the date now but it was certainly later in the year - probably August - and don't know what might be about at this time of year. We had lots of views on Minke and one spectacular view of an Orca breeching just metres off-shore.

cheers
Gordon

Thanks very much for that Gordon. I'll try and get there, as it sounds so good.

D

I wouldn't mind trying to find some Twite this year, not seen any for ages

D

Well those guys certainly made we work for them.

I walked out the muddy trail to the hide at Loch Mey since they were possible in the fields on the way (nope - stonechats). I had a flock of small birds in Durness that turned out to be linnets (which according to the RSPB's "Birds of Britain" weren't supposed to be there). I stopped at the Beinn Aighe visitor center, where the woman told me she had them coming to her home feeder (40 miles back in the way I'd just come). Finally on my second day on Skye, I went out to Neist Point in gale force winds and found a flock of them in the field of one of the nearby crofts.

Of couse I found more of them that night on a total fluke while out looking for corn crakes.

Well those guys certainly made we work for them.

I walked out the muddy trail to the hide at Loch Mey since they were possible in the fields on the way (nope - stonechats). I had a flock of small birds in Durness that turned out to be linnets (which according to the RSPB's "Birds of Britain" weren't supposed to be there). I stopped at the Beinn Aighe visitor center, where the woman told me she had them coming to her home feeder (40 miles back in the way I'd just come). Finally on my second day on Skye, I went out to Neist Point in gale force winds and found a flock of them in the field of one of the nearby crofts.

Of couse I found more of them that night on a total fluke while out looking for corn crakes.

Well at least you got them:-O but that's always the way isn't it - stop looking and there they are!

D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back