• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly IDs please (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
Hi Guys and Gals
I am just coming to the end of a trip to Abruzzo, Italy. Terrible weather but had great fun photographing plants and just about anything that moves.
I have to admit, Lepidoptera are not my strong point, by any stretch of the imagination.
I would be very grateful if any of you can ID these little beauties for me.

Attachments

• Glaucopsyche poss.jpg
    Glaucopsyche poss.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 18
  • P1040153.jpg
    P1040153.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Pararge aegeria (Poss).jpg
    Pararge aegeria (Poss).jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Leptidea  (Poss).jpg
    Leptidea (Poss).jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Pyrgus spp poss.jpg
    Pyrgus spp poss.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 15
2 Dingy Skipper
3 Speckled Wood
4 Wood White.

Don't suppose you had an underside shot of the blue- always useful with blues + fritillaries to try + get an underwing shot.

Maybe 5 Red-underwing Skipper.

Last edited:
aeshna5
Thanks for the IDs.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any underwing shots. If, and that is a very big if, I manage to get back to that part of the wood, I will try and get some additional shots of any blues around.
Problem is RAIN. Totally unbelievable the amount of rain we have had over the last few days. The ground is just a quagmire at the moment, and I fly back on Sunday.:storm:

Fof

That is so frustrating with the weather. Best of luck with the remaining days.

Somebody who knows the area you're in may offer an ID on the blue but so difficult with just an upper side shot.

aeshna5
After a lot of time searching on line, the only blue, resembling this one that I can locate, that is definately to be found in the area where I am, is Cyaniris semiargus. All the other photos of similar blues, in central Italy, that I can find, were taken west (I'm on the east) of the Apennines, and at much higher altitudes.
I realise that these, on their own, are insufficient to give a definative ID, but I will tag it as a provisional ID for now.
Thanks again
Fof

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back