• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID - Audio only (1 Viewer)

bdeclerc

I'm having real difficulties identifying this bird - I haven't seen it but I've been hearing it for years where I live.

I live in Haaltert, Belgium - in a rural environment (or at least as rural as one can get in Flanders, probably "suburban" anywhere else). About 200m behind my house there's a small brook surrounded by a humid wood and some fishing ponds. Lots of small wildlife there, including the bird whose sound I recorded here:
https://soundcloud.com/user-210852144/tieroe-geluid-onbekende-vogel

It's a bit hard to hear, and last week I managed to record it a bit more clearly (and I used some noise-suppresion to get rid of a mechanical hum)

https://soundcloud.com/user-210852144/tieroe-geluid-luider-en-gefilterd

The bird was definitely in the little wood, quite high up in the trees.

I've been listening to many Belgian bird calls but I haven't found anything that resembles it (even vaguely) - I've had suggestions of Golden Oriole (Oriolus oriolus) and European turtle dove (Streptopelia turtur) though I really don't think either fits.

The sound can IMHO best be described as a kind of "tee-rooo" sound, and it's very distinct and repeating, there's no significant variation.

So if anyone has a clue, or has an idea where I might ask?

Hi and welcome to Bird Forum.

I'd suggest Golden Oriole, too. The call isn't the classic song given in most audio guides, but it sounds good as does the behaviour. There are a range of calls and songs on www.xeno-canto.org.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back