• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first attemps at Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
Hi all

Here is my first attempts at digiscoping with a Konica 310z. In the past I just sat watching the birds at my feeder, but last week we had a curlew in the garden with a smashed wing. I phoned the RSPCA who then came out to pick it up, they didn't have much hope for its future as they thought the wing was too badly smashed to be repaired. Never seeing a bird like this before I had to get the camera out, now I'm hooked, the camera is never put away and that's only in a week.

Tell me what you think

Christine

Just to think only a very few years ago you'd never have hoped to take such lovely photos of a wild bird, eh? Very well done, Christine - I expect you feel rightly very proud!

Christine,for a first attempt they are very good,clear,no fuzziness.I do hope your Kestrel is saved,very sad that the accident happened in your garden.

Hello Steve

Thank you I was thrilled the way they turned out, considering they are through Dbl Glazing. A redpole turned up at the feeder just after I removed the camera to download to PC.

I am seeing birds I hav'nt seen before its like looking at nature with different eye's.

? Steve did you PM me yesterday when I joined only for some reason I can't seem to reply to any PM's yet. It keeps asking me to login. I had to have three tries to post the Pictures.

Christine

PM? Anything's possible with my shocking memory but, no - I can't think that I did! I will if you want though so you can test out your PM section. If you have a problem send a message to the Forum admin team - they will help.

Here is a Photo of the Curlew that started all this. This wasn't digiscoped just a straight picture, we still don't know why the bird was so far inland and alone. It probably was blown off course in the strong winds.

Christine

They live inland, Christine - in fact, you've got plenty near to you, I should think, in the Peak district. It looks okay, but might need looking after - hopefully the RSPCA have a contact that can do this.

Hi Christine and welcome to Bird Forum. The entire staff, along with a very helpful membership is at your disposal for any questions you might have.

The Steve that PM'd you was probably the administrator of this site. The guy that gets it all going and keeps it going like the timex watch :)

Now KC, that's supposed to be 'like a Rolex' not a 'Timex' !!! ;)

Welcome aboard Christine :t:

Great photos. I wish that I had gotten as good results when I started digiscoping. I hope the problems are sorted out now. Admin Steve will have sent you an email when you registered and then a PM welcoming you to the site. If you log out each visit then you will have to log-in to receive the PMs. Most people just stay logged in permanently.

Very nice Christine. Despite the awkward lighting conditions of shade and sun on a very contrasty subject you got the exposure spot on and retained good detail all over the bird. Even down to the shadow of the feeder on the head which draws the eye.

Thanks IanF

I have been trying to get some photo's in more natural surroundings but had no luck yet. They won't stay still long enough. We have some tree-creepers busy all day long but by the time I have found them with the scope and focused they have moved. Not given up yet though.

Christine

Saphire said:
Thanks IanF

I have been trying to get some photo's in more natural surroundings but had no luck yet. They won't stay still long enough. We have some tree-creepers busy all day long but by the time I have found them with the scope and focused they have moved. Not given up yet though.

Christine

Small birds are difficult. One thing to consider is that many birds will repeat behaviour. So if a bird was in one place and he wasn't just passing through, there is a fair chance that the bird will return. Sometimes presetting on an area and just waiting for the bird to come to you works well for small birds. I've especailly noticed this with hummingbirds. They will fly hundreds of yards away and then return 10 to 15 minutes later and land on the exact same inch of branch where they previously sat. And this is on a tree with a branch spread of over 20 feet.

Some branches and spots seem to be good spots and many birds will land on the same branch. You will see this a lot in the areas around a feeder as the birds wait for an opportunity at the free lunch.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back