• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus confirmation chip (1 Viewer)

wings

Jules Gobeil described this accessory as a good tool for manual focus setting but I am still a little confused as to how it is attached or how it works. Apparently it is available in eBay for under $50, although the workmanship of the chip has been described as industrial Russian.

Is it attached to the rear end of the "standard" digiscoping lens and between the lens and the camera body? How does one get the focus confirmation beep or light if such is not available in a DSLR?

These chips have evolved since I bought mine, a few months ago. Some are even programmable by the user (f/ and focal length). Do a search for "AF chip" on eBay and you will find them. The installation procedure is explained with pictures - quite easy but must be done carefully - one must be careful not to use too much glue.

Are there any DSLRs that don't have a focus confirmation light or beep ? My Canon 20D and 50D have it and it works fine with both, providing I don't have a TC installed.

The Nikon D90 has a focus confirmation light in the viewfinder for manual lenses but generally it only works reliably at F5.6 or faster.

Rick

The Nikon D90 has a focus confirmation light in the viewfinder for manual lenses but generally it only works reliably at F5.6 or faster.

Rick

IMO, it is worth trying the chip. I think it will trick the camera in seing the lens as a very fast manual lens. It is what it does with my Canons.

These chips have evolved since I bought mine, a few months ago. Some are even programmable by the user (f/ and focal length). Do a search for "AF chip" on eBay and you will find them. The installation procedure is explained with pictures - quite easy but must be done carefully - one must be careful not to use too much glue.

Haven't checked eBay yet but when you mention glue I feel a little skittish there. Also, Jules, could you describe where the chip/ring goes in the lens?

Are there any DSLRs that don't have a focus confirmation light or beep ? My Canon 20D and 50D have it and it works fine with both, providing I don't have a TC installed.

My bad. I probably ignored this feature when setting up the menu option. And also I wear a hearing aid.

Do you mean you get focus confirmation with the chip or even without it? I use a 20D with my TV85 and get no focus confirmation whatsoever (although I do get it with a regular lens in manual mode).

Vandit

Do you mean you get focus confirmation with the chip or even without it? I use a 20D with my TV85 and get no focus confirmation whatsoever (although I do get it with a regular lens in manual mode).

Vandit

The DSLR beeps or lights when it sees a picture in focus. Some, like the 20D and 50D, don't look for focus if they don't see a "compatible" lens. This is why some use the focus confirmation chip when using astro scopes in order to trick the DSLR.

The DSLR beeps or lights when it sees a picture in focus. Some, like the 20D and 50D, don't look for focus if they don't see a "compatible" lens. This is why some use the focus confirmation chip when using astro scopes in order to trick the DSLR.

True enough. I had misunderstood your earlier post to read that you were actually getting AF confirmation when using with your scope... :)

Vandit

I get focus confirmation with the scope because I attached the chip to a short Kenko spacer that I put between the DSLR and the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back