• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray bird, 7/13 Northern VA, USA (1 Viewer)

Kyleand

Hi,

I have had this bird coming to my feeder for a while and I cannot seem to find a close match for it in my backyard bird book or on the Merlin application on my phone. It is smaller than a cardinal as you can see in the photo. I believe its a female house finch (or possibly a female brown-headed cowbird) but this is just my guess and would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks.

(Picture 1 & 2 are of the same bird, 3 was taking of a different one at a different time but I believe its the same species)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    767.3 KB · Views: 40
Yup! Juvie Cowbird. Is the Northern Cardinal feeding it by any chance? I'm seeing a lot of that here with the Cowbirds and Cardinals.

Yup! Juvie Cowbird. Is the Northern Cardinal feeding it by any chance? I'm seeing a lot of that here with the Cowbirds and Cardinals.

Hi, no the Northern Cardinal was not feeding it, they were just simultaneous customers at the platform feeder; some morning doves, goldfinches, and white-breasted nuthactches were also hanging around but were not in the photo. They seem to all get along pretty well though.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back