• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Grouse Shot (1 Viewer)

DMKSlater

Just heard that a local estate has shot two young Black Grouse, with the tenuous hold this species has in the area I find it is utterly condemnable that this can happen. Just so some jumped up toff can get his kick out of killing something. These folk should be help responsible for their actions and the farce that is blood sport banned from this country once and for all.

Just heard that a local estate has shot two young Black Grouse, with the tenuous hold this species has in the area I find it is utterly condemnable that this can happen. Just so some jumped up toff can get his kick out of killing something. These folk should be help responsible for their actions and the farce that is blood sport banned from this country once and for all.

:-@

Just

:-@

Harriers, Eagles, Black throated Divers, Black Grouse... Sorry, but its time to call it a day with these estates having free reign to shoot anything they bloody like and get a slap on the wrists (at the most).

Unfortunately Ratal these birds were legally shot, it is absolutely mind numbing that these birds are still classsed as game!!

You have to wealise they were fwying about on a shoot, Damn it all. Got to mean they were Gwouse or one of those waptors. Gwouse are there to be shot at, buggers love it, and you've got to contwol waptors 'cause they kill birds just for the fun of it. Dontyerknow?

You have to wealise they were fwying about on a shoot, Damn it all. Got to mean they were Gwouse or one of those waptors. Gwouse are there to be shot at, buggers love it, and you've got to contwol waptors 'cause they kill birds just for the fun of it. Dontyerknow?

That should be a piece in a Terry Pratchett novel. I laughed like a drain. Well played Sir, well played.

As for Black Grouse being on the 'legal to shoot list', well, frankly that's mind numbing.

Black grouse shot

It just goes to show that history changes,s little as far as human
Behaviour goes and If Its in yer blood line gene,s etc from god knows how long Back you,ll carry on along In the same vein pardon the pun being trigger happy,
And thou I,m against all blood sports as far as guys with shotguns go I would
Imagine most are sensible as far as their Intended prey goes, but there will Always be those that aren,t and a typical case is the black grouse you Mention and It Is if your a nature lover only natural to feel upset over
Such Instance,s but where ever you have gentry who basically have a
Free hand over their estate or land firearm or no firearm If the laws are
Not In place to stop certain species being targeted then whats to stop
Them and even if they are, typical case being the harriers and other
birds of prey being persecuted they can literally get away with murder
Against any birds they seek out, add to this habitat loss (which carries
On) on a daily basis remaining positive Is Important for your well being
And hopefully keeps you Inspired enough to hope that for every negative
Thing that happens there are two positives to take Its place.

Behaviour goes and If Its in yer blood line gene,s etc from god knows how long Back you,ll carry on along In the same vein pardon the pun being trigger happy,
Imagine most are sensible as far as their Intended prey goes, but there will Always be those that aren,t and a typical case is the black grouse you Mention and It Is if your a nature lover only natural to feel upset over

Thank Coal Tit, what riles in this case is the fact that the Lek is tiny, about 9 males and 4 or 5 females and after a successful breeding season it would have been nice to see the size of the group increase substantially. I'm not prissy about things, we live in prime Red Grouse shooting habitat and although I do not condone this I understand it is a major thing in the area.

The Black Grouse in Speyside is declining rapidly (and not just from hunting or land management I myself have witnessed huge disturbance from Birders and Photographers so we are not squeaky clean either) but the wilful and legal shooting of such a scarce bird should be outlawed, it is well within the power of the estate that this happened on to stop hunting Black Grouse, but my own thoughts is that someone with the finance to "buy" a couple of birds persuaded either the estate or the gamekeeper. Money talks.

I Have
Just picked up where you mentioned black grouse could be legally shot
I,m gob smacked at that, I know of another recently Introduced lek where
Previous birds had vanished and how long for them to establish themselves
Back afterwards and only ever in small numbers this I just don,t agree with In anyway I don,t understand why the black grouse has come off
The protected list It just makes no sense to me at all why this has been
Allowed to happen there Is something wrong with the system there.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back