• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iBird Explorer Pro vs. Nat Geo Handheld Birds (1 Viewer)

swamper15

Swamper15
This is only applicable to North America birding. Though I am sure that may change as both applications, along with the vendors, develop.

Recently I purchased the National Geographic Handheld Birds for the iPhone/iTouch device from Apple. Already had the iBird Explorer Pro.

Comparing the two, I found the major differences to be...

'iBird Explorer Pro' - Much better search and sorting capabilities than the 'National Geographic Handheld Birds'. You will get to your bird quicker with this application. Also includes photos while 'Handheld Birds' does not.

'National Geographic Handheld Birds' - More thorough illustrations when examples of juveniles/immatures, females, or hybrids, are needed. Illustrations also contain field mark notations, while 'iBird Explorer Pro' does not.

Both contain playable birds songs. The Nat Geo songs come from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

If you are interested in more detail, the test results, with the criteria used, can be found here...
Birding Field Guide Reviews.

Note, the link to the pdf test results is not too far from the top of the page. Or you can just go straight to Birding Field Guide Comparison test results.

Hope this is not too overbearing. I just love this technology stuff.
joe kegley

Last edited:
Overbearing? Not at all, Joe. I found your review very informative. I wish there were more information on these new electronic field guides of both hardware and software.

By the way, do you know if the two pieces of software that you review can be used with other type of ipods besides the touch varieties? Thanks.

Overbearing? Not at all, Joe. I found your review very informative. I wish there were more information on these new electronic field guides of both hardware and software.

By the way, do you know if the two pieces of software that you review can be used with other type of ipods besides the touch varieties? Thanks.

No both devices have to be either an Apple iPhone or iTouch. The other ipods are not designed to handle that type of software.

Though I will say National Geographic Handheld Birds is offered for some other pda devices.

And there is a product called 'Birdjam' that contains loads of bird songs (with photos) that can be loaded on other types of ipods. You just don't get the searching, sorting, and comprehensive textual descriptions. Just birds songs with photos to go along with the songs. It is a good product, but is not a field guide so to speak.

Hope that helps
joe k

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back