• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Instant nectar mix ? (1 Viewer)

Cris

Okay heres a stupid qustion for all of you. I was useing instant nectar mix before i heard that the red dye could harm the hummers. So i changed to making my own 4 parts water to 1 part pure cane sugar. My neighbor still uses the instant nectar mix. before i changed I had all of the hummers here but since i changed all the hummingbirds left my house and went to my neighbors house. THEY WONT TOUCH THE STUFF I MADE :C and i dont want to go back to the stuff with dye because it might harm them. Did i do something wrong? Why are they choosing the mix over the 4 to 1 recipe? HELP I WANT MY HUMMERS BACK........

Hi Chris - I'm no hummer expert and perhaps I'll be corrected by those who Know more... But - seems to me the change is not in the taste of the nectar but in the amount of red displayed. Now that your feeder has less red showing, the neighbor's feeder(s) stand out more than yours. Try putting some more red around. A recent thread mentioned red ribbons as a temporary measure, planting attracting red-flowered plants, making sure your feeder(s) are visible to hummers flying over (not under trees, eaves, etc.).

It's a very good question, by the way, and I look forward advice from those who are more experienced. Barbara

This is the first time I have ever heard of this, and I have been urging people to discontinue the use of red food color for more than 5 years. I am of the opinion that it probably has something to do with either the location of the feeders or appearance of the feeders. I would definitely not recommend going back to the red food color.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Are there any environmental factors in your yard or right around the feeders that have changed, Cris? Any insects/bees/ants on/in the feeder itself?

I planted some honeysuckle and changed from the mix and I dont see many ants or bees on the feeder. Whats wierd is every once and a while when i get one to come over they take one sip a leave like it wasnt what they were looking for. If i dont get some more hummers in the next few days I'll replace the feeder with some fresh suger water and place it somewhere else. Don't worry about me going back to the mix i think i'm going to stick to the suger water. anyway i have another qustion does anyone make a hummingbird bath or should i just use a regular bird bath and not put as much water in it??? does anyone use a mister for their hummingbirds and do they like it????

Cris said:
I planted some honeysuckle and changed from the mix and I dont see many ants or bees on the feeder. Whats wierd is every once and a while when i get one to come over they take one sip a leave like it wasnt what they were looking for. If i dont get some more hummers in the next few days I'll replace the feeder with some fresh suger water and place it somewhere else. Don't worry about me going back to the mix i think i'm going to stick to the suger water. anyway i have another qustion does anyone make a hummingbird bath or should i just use a regular bird bath and not put as much water in it??? does anyone use a mister for their hummingbirds and do they like it????
Hummingbirds don't use regulr baths, as far as I know. They've been seen bathing in shallow running brooks, in hoses (people watering plants with a hose), on flat leaves in the rain, and under misters. People seem to get the most bathig hummers with the misters. BTW: people report that the misters actully increase the number of hummers around. You may well take some of them back from your dye-using neighbor by putting out a mister. As far as I know, they water must be running or moving is some way for a hummer to bathe there, so regular bird baths don't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris:
How long has it been since you changed the water out? You should not be letting it go more than about 5 days without changing it. The water can sour and even ferment if you leave it longer than you should.
Hummingbirds will use SHALLOW birdbaths and they do love misters. I have some great photos of them in sprinklers but I do not recommend sprinklers in the southwest.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

I put the water in it 3 days ago. After reading these posts i belive its the location of the feeder. I have mine under a tree where you cant see it very well but my neighbor has hers very visable and by a blooming vine that i'm sure humming birds love. And i don't think it's the suger water i'm using after all the mix is just suger with dye added isn't it(I'm hoping when the vine stops blooming the hummingbirds will return).I have GOT to get some pictures of some bathing hummers.

I find just the opposite to be true here Chris. Last year I experimented by putting the instant mix in one of their favorite feeders and the homemade nectar in another one exactly like it and hung them side by side. The instant mix didn't get touched and the hummers drained the homemade nectar by the end of the day. I'd say keep yours fresh and give it a little time.

Cris said:
Okay heres a stupid qustion for all of you. I was useing instant nectar mix before i heard that the red dye could harm the hummers. So i changed to making my own 4 parts water to 1 part pure cane sugar. My neighbor still uses the instant nectar mix. before i changed I had all of the hummers here but since i changed all the hummingbirds left my house and went to my neighbors house. THEY WONT TOUCH THE STUFF I MADE :C and i dont want to go back to the stuff with dye because it might harm them. Did i do something wrong? Why are they choosing the mix over the 4 to 1 recipe? HELP I WANT MY HUMMERS BACK........

Chris, my hummers bathe in my regular birdbath almost every morning really early. I have some pictures of them but they aren't great because it really isn't light enough yet. I have a dripper on the bath that they use. I tried a mister but didn't have much luck with it.

Cris said:

Well,
by no means I am an hummingbird expert, but here is another take on the problem.......
A factor could be the actual sugar concentration in the different nectars. Hummers can detect small differences in sugar concentration in nectar, and if they have a choice they may go for the more "valuable", i.e. the one with the slightly higher sugar concentration. Optimal foraging......

Ulli

I have to interject here, I don't think it is a good idea to have a higher sugar concentration. 4 to 1 is the highest recommended. 10 to 1 is the least you can get away with. Most flowers' 'sugar' content is equal to the 6 or 7 to 1 ratio.
I think if you get any more concentrated than 4:1, you will find that you have more of a syrup than a nectar.
But I could be wrong. If someone would like to, disprove me. It has been many years since my first ornithology class.

I agree with the positioning theory. That seems the most logical.

Good luck!

Beth

I have to disagree with birdpotter. People researching the concentration of sugar in nectar are finding numbers in some species running close to 33% (1/3). It would not hurt to drop to 3:1 for a while then slowly go back to the 4:1 once the birds begin feeding. I would also try moving it to a better location - think about it, if you want to sell something you have to advertise.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

YEEEEHAW I just changed this morning to a 3:1 recipe and they are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Thank you Everyone. Mark you said to slowly go back to the 4:1 once the birds begin feeding. Does anyone know if it would harm them to stay at the 3:1??? they seem to like it a lot more.

Cris said:
YEEEEHAW I just changed this morning to a 3:1 recipe and they are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Thank you Everyone. Mark you said to slowly go back to the 4:1 once the birds begin feeding. Does anyone know if it would harm them to stay at the 3:1??? they seem to like it a lot more.

Congrats! As far as I know, the 3:1 won't hurt them, but they also need protein, and they tastyness of the sugarwater may keep them from going in search of it. You may want to slowly work back down towards a 4:1.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back