• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More birds of prey, Panama (1 Viewer)

michalb

Poland
Thanks again for a great discussion under my previous post concerning Panamanian raptors. Here's more :)

First two photos show the same individual, is it a Black-Hawk (Buteogallus sp.)? Which one, if so? I thought a Zone-tailed Hawk (Buteo albonotatus), but it seems to be out of range.
Location: Old Bank town, Bastimentos Island, Bocas del Toro islands in north-western Panama
Date: 14.01.2020

On the third photo I think we also have a Black-Hawk, but immature. Again not sure which species it is.
Location: Old Bank town, Bastimentos Island, Bocas del Toro islands in north-western Panama
Date: 15.01.2020

Finally the last two photos, from the same island, just not in town but in the forest, and here I'm pretty sure that it is a Double-toothed Kite (Harpagus bidentatus). Even though the diagnostic stripe on throat can't be seen, I guess that's the only species that fits?
Location: rainforest on Bastimentos Island, Bocas del Toro islands in north-western Panama
Date: 15.01.2020

Thanks for all comments!

Attachments

• czarnostrzab OldBank1.jpg
    czarnostrzab OldBank1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 60
  • czarnostrzab OldBank2.jpg
    czarnostrzab OldBank2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 41
  • czarnostrzab OldBank3.jpg
    czarnostrzab OldBank3.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 48
  • cykadojad1.jpg
    cykadojad1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 48
  • cykadojad2.jpg
    cykadojad2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 34
I agree with zone tailed hawk for the first, and double toothed kite for the latter. A quick peek on ebird shows a number of records from Bastimentos for ZTH, sadly I wasn't aware of ebird when I visited back in 2013 else I might have added both species on my trip!

Hmmm, probably you are right about the hawk, I saw (Great) Black-Hawks on this trip and they do look differently, my fault. And dark Buteo brachyurus seems right, thanks!

How about the one in the middle?

Last edited:
First bird - Dark morph Short-tailed Hawk. A prominent secondary bulge, the peculiar but actually typical pointed profile to the wing without "spread fingers", the dark outline to the remiges, and tail pattern point at this bird over Zone-tailed Hawk.

Second bird - Common Black Hawk immature. Bill color should be definitive in Central America. If visible, primary projection and tail pattern can be supporting arguments, but the bill color (excluding the cere) being bicolor - dark tip and pale at the base, ignoring the fleshy cere, is fairly definitive as I understand it.

Third bird - Double-toothed Kite - classic, not much room to argue here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back