• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vallisaari (island in/near Helsini) (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
The island of Vallisaari (Skanslandet is the Swedish name) in the southern part of Helsinki has only been opened to the public a few days ago (i.e. mid-May 2016) but has already been explored by a number of Finnish birders. Since I'm probably one of the first foreigners to have visited the place, I thought I might be nice to give some feedback and alert other visitors to Finland to the possibility.

General

Vallisaari is located to the southeast of Suomenlinna (Sveaborg) and is relatively easy and quick to get to from downtown Helsinki.
The island consists of rocky, mostly forested terrain. There are mixed forests with a decent amount of dead wood. There's a gravel road leading round the accessible parts of the island.
The southern third or so of the island is illegal to access (probably landmines, I don't know), but there are clear signs indicating that, so the rules should be easy enough to follow.
There's a dam leading to Kuninkaansaari (Kungsholmen), the smaller neighbouring island.
Be sure to check out the link from nationalparks.fi (see above) for more info.

My thoughts: Aside from the main routes, there are a few paths leading into the interior (around the lake) that are apparently open to the public, though that could be more clear, given that they often have an motor vehicle bar at the entrance that looks a bit uninviting.

Access

There's a water taxi (small ferryboat) operated by "JT Lines" going to Vallisaari from the great market Kauppatori at this place. The trip takes ~15 minutes, the return ride at least 20 minutes, because they stop at Suomenlinna. The fare (including return trip) is currently at €7.00.
My comment: Be careful to choose the direct line, not the long cruise around the archipelago. The staff speak English, in my experience.

Species

I went there on May 17th in the afternoon, primarily because I didn't get any lifers at Viikki earlier that day (still, I can highly recommend Viikki, for its scenic landscape, great variety of species, and presence of numerous charismatic species such as Marsh Harrier, Hobby, Thrush Nightingale, Pied Flycatcher and Rosefinch).
Highlight of the day at Vallisaari was a White-backed Woodpecker, which was one of my target birds. Took me quite a while to find it, though.
Other birders more competent than me have seen more rare/difficult to find birds on Vallisaari (I heard that Red-breasted Flycatcher and Greenish Warbler had been present). If I'd gone early in the morning, I probably might've found more species as well.

The species I've seen/heard on Vallisaari and Kuninkaansaari and on the water immediately around these islands are:

Barnacle Goose (migrating overhead, though they also rest everywhere in the archipelago)
Mute Swan
Mallard
Goosander (Common Merganser)
Grey Heron
Common Sandpiper
Common Tern
White-backed Woodpecker (one female, showing west of the main pond at a side track. Record shot [cropped] attached)
Great Tit
Lesser Whitethroat
Common Whitethroat
Common Treecreeper
Common Starling
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Thrush Nightingale
Pied Flycatcher (IIRC)
House Sparrow
White Wagtail
Chaffinch
Common Rosefinch (quite numerous)
Greenfinch
European Goldfinch
Yellowhammer (on Kungsholmen)

A big thanks to Johannes Silvonen from tringa.fi for the tip and directions.

I'd be happy for comments, corrections, more exhaustive day lists, etc.

Attachments

• WBW.JPG
    WBW.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back