• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Warbler? Lake Annecy (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

Can anyone confirm if this is a Marsh Warbler (Acrocephalus palustris) singing in this video? It was at Bout du Lac nature reserve at Lake Annecy, France the week before last. I have no previous experience of the species and my experience of singing Reed Warblers is limited to occasional encounters on holiday as neither species is regular where I live. However, this bird seems to lack the measured, repetitive phrases that I associate with reed warblers and seems to incorporate mimicry and fast trills etc.

https://youtu.be/mOQp1djRpZE

I'd say yes :t:

Definitely not Reed; my only caution is whether Melodious is possible (not a species I'm very familiar with!).

I'd say yes :t:

Definitely not Reed; my only caution is whether Melodious is possible (not a species I'm very familiar with!).

Thanks for that. My first thought on hearing this was also Melodious, but I should probably have said that I could see the bird singing and it was a brown, unstreaked Acrocephalus warbler, so definitely reed or marsh. It was also confusingly perched on the top of a phragmites reed stem, which marsh warblers are not supposed to do. However this was quite a small area of dry reedbed in a scrubby area, with quite a lot of other plants, such as meadowsweet, willowherb and bindweed growing among the reeds.

The song is rather slow for a Marsh Warbler. Blyth's Reed Warbler sings like a 'sleepy Marsh Warbler', but my experience with this species is limited to one singing bird long time ago. And it is of course not a typical breeding bird of France. So probably it's really just a sleepy Marsh Warbler;)

The song is rather slow for a Marsh Warbler. Blyth's Reed Warbler sings like a 'sleepy Marsh Warbler', but my experience with this species is limited to one singing bird long time ago. And it is of course not a typical breeding bird of France. So probably it's really just a sleepy Marsh Warbler;)
Not Blyth`s but Marsh.

It was also confusingly perched on the top of a phragmites reed stem, which marsh warblers are not supposed to do. However this was quite a small area of dry reedbed in a scrubby area, with quite a lot of other plants, such as meadowsweet, willowherb and bindweed growing among the reeds.
They tend not to use extensive pure Phragmites, but when there's just a bit of it mixed in with other herbs like this, no problem :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back